Ideas

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Badblood

Ideas

Post by Badblood »

I am getting started again. Have some recipe ideas I need feedback on. No matter what refill I get I plan to step some grains, use DME or LME, and flavorings.

I want to do a smoked mesquite ale. Thinking it will work good in a brown ale. But also plan to do a pecan brown ale. Both would also work in a porter. Your thoughts? How about a peppermint porter?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Ideas

Post by RickBeer »

I like to keep an open mind, and not slam people for their ideas.

However, if you brew a peppermint beer of any type, you should be denied future posting privileges. :blink: :whistle: :lol: To be fair, I would say that for a new member or even the most senior member. :jumpy:

On a more serious note, I tend to do brews after experiencing similar commercial brews or craft brewery brews. For example, I had New Holland's White Stout recently, and now I'm looking for how to get those flavors into a beer.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm oversensitive to smoke, so take this with a grain of salt, but maybe not more then a single grain...

It would be very easy to use smoked mesquite and end up with something absolutely horrific.

Anything you add like that, be subtle with it until you know for sure.

As far as the rest:

There are hops that can give you a minty vibe without it going over the top. Perle hops would be one example. I think I personally would prefer a beer late hopped with them for that effect then one with actual mint in it.

Pecan in a brown sounds good as long as it's subtle. But again you can get nice nutty flavors just from malt and yeast choices.

Sometimes (if not more often) it's better to go that route then it is to go all nuts with flavorings.

This is coming from a guy who makes all sorts of beers, including historic styles that have herbs instead of hops. It is very easy to go over the top and make something not so nice.

Not saying don't do it... just better to tread lightly then go nuts with the stuff.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I've used several methods to test recipes. My most common is to split a recipe into a test batch and a control batch, I have made a beer and spiced only half. I've also tested flavoring by using an extract or tincture and adding a drop at a time to measured samples of beer to give me a basis for flavoring ratio. Also I generally make small batches when I experiment, so I don't waste too much beer if it's a failure. Keep us posted on your methods and results.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Badblood

Post by Badblood »

[quote="RickBeer"]I like to keep an open mind, and not slam people for their ideas.

However, if you brew a peppermint beer of any type, you should be denied future posting privileges. :blink: :whistle: :lol: To be fair, I would say that for a new member or even the most senior member. :jumpy:

I read of somebody doing a peppermint porter so wanted to ask about it lol. I, myself do not like peppermint.
Badblood

Post by Badblood »

mashani wrote:I'm oversensitive to smoke, so take this with a grain of salt, but maybe not more then a single grain...

It would be very easy to use smoked mesquite and end up with something absolutely horrific.

Anything you add like that, be subtle with it until you know for sure.

As far as the rest:

There are hops that can give you a minty vibe without it going over the top. Perle hops would be one example. I think I personally would prefer a beer late hopped with them for that effect then one with actual mint in it.

Pecan in a brown sounds good as long as it's subtle.
Thanks for the advice. I ordered one pound of the smoked mesquite. I do not plan to use all of it either. I am just thinking of some recipe ideas. I may do a smoked porter instead?
Badblood

Post by Badblood »

John Sand wrote:I've used several methods to test recipes. My most common is to split a recipe into a test batch and a control batch, I have made a beer and spiced only half. I've also tested flavoring by using an extract or tincture and adding a drop at a time to measured samples of beer to give me a basis for flavoring ratio. Also I generally make small batches when I experiment, so I don't waste too much beer if it's a failure. Keep us posted on your methods and results.

Thanks. Just trying to think of some recipes to try. I might try the extract flavoring at bottle time too.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Hello Badblood, welcome to the forum and the hobby. I like spiced beers to an extent and a lot of different flavor profiles can be done with hops and yeast selection as other have stated above. I for one like a fall/winter style ale with spices and just brewed one yesterday, but whatever you try go easy with spices and use small test batches. You can always add more on the next batch if so choose but can't take them out after they are in there. Good luck and keep us informed.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Badblood

Post by Badblood »

berryman wrote:Hello Badblood, welcome to the forum and the hobby. I like spiced beers to an extent and a lot of different flavor profiles can be done with hops and yeast selection as other have stated above. I for one like a fall/winter style ale with spices and just brewed one yesterday, but whatever you try go easy with spices and use small test batches. You can always add more on the next batch if so choose but can't take them out after they are in there. Good luck and keep us informed.

Thank you. I like strong dark beers in winter. Something spiced sounds interesting.