Provoak Hops

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Provoak Hops

Post by Beer-lord »

Suddenly, all the talk of these hops has died down. Maybe because all the popular hops for the 2019 season are out. I just have too many hops to try something else right now but am glad you're sharing your info.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I think next up I will do a Kolsch with some of the European ones. Because why not.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:So, I am brewing another beer with these, an IPA. Mostly Viking extra pale malt, with some Munich and 10L crystal. I am using 1.5oz of Eurika, 1.5oz of Calypso, 3oz of Medusa, and 1.5oz of the American Provoak in all. I'll end up using the Lallamand NEIPA yeast for it even though this isn't an NEIPA because I have a lot of it.

I figured I'd give it a shot and throw a good bit in since there are oaked IPAs out there that would call for 1oz of oak cubes for 5 gallons, and I'm making 6 gallons, and there are hops mixed with the oak here. I don't think this will be overwhelming based on how the other beer came out, but it will for sure be noticeable.

Will let ya know how it turns out.
So I'm tasting this for the first time.

Flavor wise it's very much an American IPA. There is a toasty oak component in the flavor, but it's mild, it just blends in with the hops - the fruity and dank hops are much more prominent.

Aroma, though it's where the oak hits more hard. There is a big woody note there. You get more of that in the aroma then the fruit. That might be tweakable by dry hopping it with more of the fruity hops though, where a good bit of my dry hop was provoak.

I would call it a success and I like it quite much. But that big woody note in the aroma I am describing might not be everyone's cup of tea. It's like I'm drinking the beer out of a wood cup instead of glass if that makes sense?