Star San added to your order for me :)

Wisconsin | Illinois | Indiana | Michigan | Ohio

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Star San added to your order for me :)

Post by RickBeer »

I buy all my ingredients at Adventures in Homebrewing. However, their price for Star San is way too high - $23.99 for 32 oz vs. most others at $15.99.

I'm looking to ride along on your order with Midwest, Northern, or other that offers a similar price if you're located near me - I know Duff, Louie, DaYooper and some others are close. Just want a 32 oz bottle of Star San. If you're ordering a "ships free" order from one of these guys with that $15.99 Star San price, send me a private message and we'll figure out how to do it.

Thanks!
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Star San added to your order for me :)

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Someone in my home brew club said that he bought a store branded "starsan product" from Gordon Food Service that was really inexpensive. $15 per gallon maybe. I have sent him message to get details but I do remember him saying that he compared it to StarSan and it was the same stuff! I will let you know as soon as I hear back from him.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Thanks Louie!
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Harry wrote:It is called Ultimate Sanitizer by Array at GFS
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I think there's a GFS store here in town. Might have to go out there and check it out, see if they have that sanitizer in stock.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Here's the MSDS for both...

Looks like both are sanitizers, but are they appear to be compositionally different though...

However, I cannot determine what impact that may have.

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-con ... BMSDS2.pdf

http://www.gfs.com/files/msds/869610.pdf

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The GFS stuff is a QUAT based sanitizer where the Star San relies on its acid level/ph.

Quats are safe after they air dry, but I don't think I'd pour beer into something sanitized with them wet. I don't know that they break down fully until they dry or if they will break down into the same compounds in a wet/beery environment.

Most Quats I know of are sanitizer up to 7.5 PH... which means they do not rely on their acid content for their function...

Starsan is only a sanitizer at 3.5PH or < I believe...

So they are not the same in any sense, do not work in the same way, and do not break down into the same compounds.

So personally, I think I would "fear the foam" in the case of a QUAT and only use them as an air dry sanitizer.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

mashani wrote:The GFS stuff is a QUAT based sanitizer where the Star San relies on its acid level/ph.

Quats are safe after they air dry, but I don't think I'd pour beer into something sanitized with them wet. I don't know that they break down fully until they dry or if they will break down into the same compounds in a wet/beery environment.

Most Quats I know of are sanitizer up to 7.5 PH... which means they do not rely on their acid content for their function...

Starsan is only a sanitizer at 3.5PH or < I believe...

So they are not the same in any sense, do not work in the same way, and do not break down into the same compounds.

So personally, I think I would "fear the foam" in the case of a QUAT and only use them as an air dry sanitizer.
Darn, was looking forward to some cheap StarSan.

I also get pretty much everything at AIH as well but if some super crazy cheap deal happens that I jump on I'll let you know as am in A2 every game day. Mine tends to last a long time since I use StarSan on brew day and OneStep on bottle day unless they happen to conincide.

Have you asked them if they will match the price or at least come down a bit? Couldnt hurt to ask if you are also picking up a bunch of ingredients at the same time. If they do let me know as may come in handy down the road.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

DaYooper wrote:Have you asked them if they will match the price or at least come down a bit? Couldnt hurt to ask if you are also picking up a bunch of ingredients at the same time. If they do let me know as may come in handy down the road.
I brought it up to Jay directly when I was there one time. He went and looked up things and said he has it priced right, everyone else is too low. I told him I didn't know how some of the smaller guys could be at the same $15.99 as others, but it's his business.

I'm headed there likely tomorrow morning before the game, then maybe brew while watching it on TV.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

RickBeer wrote:
DaYooper wrote:Have you asked them if they will match the price or at least come down a bit? Couldnt hurt to ask if you are also picking up a bunch of ingredients at the same time. If they do let me know as may come in handy down the road.
I brought it up to Jay directly when I was there one time. He went and looked up things and said he has it priced right, everyone else is too low. I told him I didn't know how some of the smaller guys could be at the same $15.99 as others, but it's his business.

I'm headed there likely tomorrow morning before the game, then maybe brew while watching it on TV.
Never had Jay price match. He has actually told me to buy it from NB then. I did. I just do not understand how an out of state company can be that much lower, even when shipping is added. I would rather buy MI but there does come a point when it does not make sense.

PS. Quat does need to air dry completely before using the rinsed items.
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

haerbob3 wrote:Never had Jay price match. He has actually told me to buy it from NB then. I did. I just do not understand how an out of state company can be that much lower, even when shipping is added. I would rather buy MI but there does come a point when it does not make sense.
I've had AIH match when I've went in there with a recipe I printed out from other places, but I do include shipping since I think an out the door price is a fair comparisson. I too try and buy local as much as possible since I would not be a happy camper if they closed up shop. But it appears the new computer system they put in does not allow as much flexibility as last time they had to issue me a gift card in lieu of a refund on a bumbled order.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Jay price matched me once on an order for a bunch of equipment vs. a competitor, including shipping for the competitor.

I've found their pricing all over the place. Supposedly retail customers are supposed to pay the same, or less, than internet customers. He once told me that hops and yeast should be cheaper in the store. The S-05 I bought on Saturday was $3.50 on the site, $3.99 in the store. Every time I've pointed out the discrepancy they go in and raise the web price to match...

Overall it seems to be a margin-focus on every item, but that's just a guess. I like going and finding my own ingredients, weighing them, and milling. I also like that they fill my small containers for LME so I can have a pound for this Mr. Beer recipe, 1/2 pound for that.

I didn't like that I bought a 5 gallon pot for $29.99 in May, and days later it was (and still is) $19.99... But that's just my bad timing I guess.

If I was looking to buy a bunch of equipment, I'd price it in multiple places and he'd need to be competitive to win my business. I don't think it bothers him anyway since I haven't spent $300 yet over 9 months or so... :laugh

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

That is what I shop around. When I bought my kegging system he was the cheapest even with taxes & shipping ($5). I just find it laughable that he actually told me to buy it (stir plate & other odds & ends) from Northern Brewer. I am amazed that I can buy grain from Northern and still be under AIH's price. Our daughter lives in A^2 and I still have not been to the store :lol: :lol:
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

RickBeer wrote:I've found their pricing all over the place. Supposedly retail customers are supposed to pay the same, or less, than internet customers. He once told me that hops and yeast should be cheaper in the store. The S-05 I bought on Saturday was $3.50 on the site, $3.99 in the store. Every time I've pointed out the discrepancy they go in and raise the web price to match...
The answer I got for that when I've purchased sale items (per the web) is that the web store and inhouse systems were not linked. They (Taylor store) have always given me credit for the difference although Ive never looked back to see exactly what price was adjusted.

I do love the convenience of being able to go in and ask for 7.2# of LME and getting 7.2#. It took me awhile to get over having to order in round increments and make up the difference with DME. The same with grains.

I am guessing they are not very sophisticated with their pricing models and probably use a set markup rather than competitive pricing models. Things like StarSan are purchased fairly rarely as the stuff lasts, and if you are running out it probably means youve bought a lot of other ingredients. So you look at things like that as more of a service than a profit center. But oh well, he has his own LHBS and I dont so he is one up on me!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I agree that have a set markup, that's what I meant when I said they are margin-focused.

I love buying the exact amount. I got 7.2 lbs, three 1 lb, and one 1/2 pound containers of LME. Then I bought 8 oz of Crystal 120 and 6 oz of Amber, and a pound of Carafoam. Weighted, milled and bagged all myself. I like that.

I usually go every 6 weeks or so, and buy two LBK sets of ingredients, and then two more for three weeks from now (working on using up my Mr. Beer ingredients and moving to extract / steeping recipes and beyond). This time I bought ingredients for a 5 gallon recipe and two more sets, so I'm good until 9 weeks or so.

I did buy the Peanut Butter stuff, and will try the tiny amount in a bottle of stout before I brew the batch, probably the three weeks from now group.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone