Mold in my fermenter?

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Mold in my fermenter?

Post by Hayzer »

I hope this pic comes through. This is an Oatmeal Stout (extract) that I thought I’d toy with. I won’t explain all the extra I did, because what I want to know is, would you keg this? I have been sampling from the bottom spout daily. Planned on kegging today so I popped the top to find this. It sure tastes great, but this doesn’t look great. I’ve never seen it before.

Would you keg this and see what it tastes like carbonated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: Mold in my fermenter?

Post by Hayzer »

Another look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Probably just yeast islands, and maybe something that likes to grown on top of them with oxygen exposure, but won't grow in the actual beer. Mold does not like beer, there isn't any mold growing *in* your beer. Some yeasts do that more then others. I often use yeasts that do it a lot, so stuff like that is just "meh" to me anymore LOL. Wort conditions can influence whether it happens as well. In any case all is good most likely.

Just bottle/keg it from under that stuff, if you have a spigot, just leave that stuff behind. That stuff will probably just gather up along the sides of your fermenter as you are draining it and be left behind anyways.

So basically RDWHAHB.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Looks a lot like a lacto infection to me.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

As long as it taste good in the fermenter it should be good carbed. I would really give your fermenter a good cleaning and sanitation after though. Maybe a bleach bomb too.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

John Sand wrote:Looks a lot like a lacto infection to me.
Nah, I doubt it. He'd be tasting some sour/tart if it's been in the fermenter long enough to be bottled/kegged and there was enough oxygen exposure and lacto presence to promote pellicle formation. I would also expect some stringy like looking connections between the islands/across the more solid parts.

I'm pretty sure those are just yeast islands. They happen.

And just to make sure he doesn't freak out - even if it is lacto it's perfectly safe to drink if it tastes good (and even better for your gut, free probiotics).

Just do Berrymans fermenter bleach bomb if you want to be totally safe before you brew the next beer if you taste any sort of tart/sour down the line.

EDIT, I looked at picture again, are those round bright areas / things I see actually big bubbles on top, or is it just because of the light/something on the fermenter? I can't tell if they are bubbles or not.

If they are, then there may actually be a pellicle film on top, so there could be an early stage lacto or other thing going on in that case. Big bubbles should not form in a yeast island scenario, it should all be "flat". Puffy/fuzzy thick looking, a mixture of small and big bubbles, and stringy connections across the surface would all point to something else.

But still it's safe to drink it if it tastes good, just bleach bomb your fermenter to be sure it doesn't happen again.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hayzer, if it makes you feel better... this beer was infected with my house Brett C strain... I bottled it... drank it... and liked it. And I still live it seems.
IMG_0163%20(002).jpg
IMG_0163%20(002).jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 12302 times
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Did you add anything with fat in it?
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

berryman wrote:As long as it taste good in the fermenter it should be good carbed. I would really give your fermenter a good cleaning and sanitation after though. Maybe a bleach bomb too.
Sort of like, "if it feels good then do it." I will be sure to bleach bomb the hail out of it....
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

RickBeer wrote:Did you add anything with fat in it?
No fat added at all. The extras were some spices, baked pumpkin (400 for an hour with some brown sugar) and a little cinnamon extract. I put such small amounts in this batch that it didn't change the flavor profile. To me, this tastes like the first Oatmeal Stout extract I did.
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

mashani wrote:
John Sand wrote:Looks a lot like a lacto infection to me.
Nah, I doubt it. He'd be tasting some sour/tart Nothing tart or off-tasting at all. It's actually one of my better tasting beers out of the fermenter. if it's been in the fermenter long enough to be bottled/kegged Three+ weeks in the fermenter. However, the first two weeks, the fermenter was 62-64 degrees and the last 10 days it has been at 74-76 degrees.and there was enough oxygen exposure and lacto presence to promote pellicle formation. I would also expect some stringy like looking connections between the islands/across the more solid parts.No strings whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure those are just yeast islands. They happen.

And just to make sure he doesn't freak out - even if it is lacto it's perfectly safe to drink if it tastes good (and even better for your gut, free probiotics). I would only freak out if that beer hit my gut then came right back out, either end. :)

Just do Berrymans fermenter bleach bomb if you want to be totally safe before you brew the next beer if you taste any sort of tart/sour down the line. :fedora:

EDIT, I looked at picture again, are those round bright areas / things I see actually big bubbles on top, or is it just because of the light/something on the fermenter? I can't tell if they are bubbles or not. Must be poor lighting. All the surface was flat except for a coupe fuzzy areas, but they were not bubbles. I could see them without the camera, but cannot see then in the pic.

If they are, then there may actually be a pellicle film on top, so there could be an early stage lacto or other thing going on in that case. Big bubbles should not form in a yeast island scenario, it should all be "flat". Puffy/fuzzy thick looking, a mixture of small and big bubbles, and stringy connections across the surface would all point to something else.I ain't scared.

But still it's safe to drink it if it tastes good, just bleach bomb your fermenter to be sure it doesn't happen again.
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

THANK YOU ALL, for the help. I will let you know about the friend reviews once they are in. I won't show them these pictures until after they tell me they love the beer. Even thin I'm still thinking of not telling anyone.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I’ve brewed about as many Sours on purpose as mashani has by accident in his Brett C house. Pellicles come in all shapes and sizes and that is definitely the start of one. Kegged and kept cold flavor will remain about where it is till it kicks.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Inkleg wrote:Kegged and kept cold flavor will remain about where it is till it kicks.
Regardless of what it is, this is very much true. Most beer bugs don't like it cold. Even most weird yeast like my house Brett C pretty much shuts down when it gets much below 60.