New Lallemand yeast

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

New Lallemand yeast

Post by Beer-lord »

If anyone tries these, especially the East Coast and Kolsch, I'd love to hear about them.
https://shop.greatfermentations.com/cat ... 1-77543933
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: New Lallemand yeast

Post by mashani »

I'll certainly try the Kolsch if I can get my hands on some at a better price then that. I may as well buy a liquid strain and an ice pack for shipping at that price.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I also thought it was expensive.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FYI, Adventures in Homebrewing has their dry yeast on sale 20% off, and a 13% off pirate day code which stacks.

So I bought me 4 packs each of the East Coast and Kolsch yeast to play with. At $5.56 a pack I was willing to give it a go.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

So @BeerLord, FWIW, the East Coast yeast looks to be a slow starter (lots of lag time).

I'm at 24 hours and all I've got is trub accumulating.

Usually with my pitch rates I'm in active fermentation much sooner.

Not sure if it's as bad as BR-97 yet, but if it is, I'm not going to be a fan unless it makes great beer. Long lag times in my Brett C house are not a good thing unless you like pineapple beer. (would actually be ok here I guess).
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Well that sucks. Do the instructions say to rehydrate or anything different than other yeasts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:Well that sucks. Do the instructions say to rehydrate or anything different than other yeasts?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same as all of their yeast, it recommends rehydration like they all do - but I never do it.

Ended up at ~30 hours before it started to actively ferment. It's cranking away now, and it smells good. So that's good I guess?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I just saw that they suggest 1g of yeast per liter.

So they basically want you to pitch 2 packs of the dry yeast in a 5-6 gallon batch.

That would actually be my normal pitch rate from a "packs" perspective, except I'm normally pitching 11.5g packs of yeast that I got for $4.50 or < and that are supposedly good for 5 gallons into 3. (because I pitch at Brewers Friend Pro 1.0 or 1.25 rates normally).

And at full retail price for those things, that would be like $16+ bucks of yeast for their suggested pitch rate, and if I went with mine it would be like 3 packs or more, so 25 bucks instead of my usual $9 or so. So that would be very $pendy, comparatively speaking, so may as well go liquid and build a starter.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the beer I made with this. It sure looks like a NEIPA.

It doesn't really taste like one, at least not one I've ever had, because it's too dank/dopey due to one of the hops I used, but that's not the yeasts fault, it's my fault for forgetting just how dank/dopey those hops were. The fruity hops do pop though, it is very juicy once you get past that.

So I bet with just a bunch of juicy/fruity hops it would be perfect if that's what you were going for.

I actually like my fruity beers with some dank/pine/resin behind it, so I'll be ok with what I ended up with.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, this beer is delicious and if I had used more fruity and less dopey hops it would very much taste like a NEIPA, and it certainly looks like one. The yeast did all the right things. It is very juicy on top of the dankness.

So it's a winner, except for the cost of it if you pitched it in the amounts they suggest.

I can taste no ill effects from not doing so myself here, it just had that long lag time. Still it wasn't any worse then BRY-97 in that regards.

It was worth it on sale at least.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear it's what they say it is.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I don't know what it will taste like yet, but FWIW the Kolsch yeast makes *huge* krausen even when fermented cool. It is for sure not the same thing as the White Labs strain, its acting very much more like the Wyeast strain. (I don't know that it is that either, but if it's the same as one of those two, it's the Wyeast one).
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Seems they've added a Kveik yeast to their line. I've only used the Hornindal strain (and I am a believer after 2 different beers) but the Voss can hit a little higher temps it seems.

In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort, LalBrew® Voss yeast exhibits:
Fermentation that is completed in:

2 days at 40°C (104°F)
3-4 days at 30°C (86°F)
5-7 days at 25°C (77°F)
Medium to high attenuation and very high flocculation.
Neutral flavor profile across the temperature range with notes of orange and citrus.
The optimal temperature range for LalBrew® Voss yeast when producing traditional
styles is 35-40°C (95-104°F)
Lag phase, total fermentation time, attenuation and flavor are dependent on pitch rate, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort. Our research suggests that pitching LalBrew® Voss directly into wort without prior rehydration will often result in better performance including shorter lag-phase and greater attenuation.
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/uni ... ale-yeast/
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I was just on the website, I love that the quality and availability of dry yeas has really jumped in the last few years. There are still some Lallemand yeasts I am not very familiar with. Windsor and the new London Ale are two that I would like to try out as well as the Kolsch yeast.
Brew Strong My Friends...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Their London ESB is great IMHO. BUT unless you actually want a chewy/high FG beer, you really want to mash as a highly fermentable mash OR use sugar like an authentic early/mid 20th century British Beer would have pretty much always done. If you do not, you will end up with a higher FG then you are used to. That yeast doesn't eat all the malt sugars and leaves some behind.

If you look at all of the "bad" reviews of it you will see that people didn't pay attention to this, even though they tell you this if you RTFM.

But you can make a nice authentic tasting British ESB with it, just throw in some Lyles Golden Syrup or some Belgian candi syrup or such as part of your bill.

I will for sure buy the Kveik when it's available in 11g packs. In theory they should be able to dry pretty much ANY of the Kveik strains because that's what the Nordic people do with theirs. It's genetically "made for it".

Voss can give you nice Orange esters.