Saison time.

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Saison time.

Post by berryman »

Run this by you guys before I brew it as I have one more planned ahead before this and only have some of the ingredients for it.
9 lbs pilsner
3 lbs Munich
.5 caramunich
1 oz Saaz @60
1 oz Saaz @20
1 0z Saaz @1
Simple Saison
one pack Bella Saison at 68 deg.
No temp. control on this one but my basement stays at 68 and will let it climb to whatever and know it will.
I can make ajustments now because don't have everything for it so any tweeks would be good. This was a morebeer recipe I cut back some because I don't want a 1.082 plus beer and bella will take it way down, I know this for a fact.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Saison time.

Post by swenocha »

I don't think you'll go wrong with that recipe. I tend to add some wheat and/or oats to my saisons, but that's just personal preference. I also have started using some spices and/or fruit at times, but the yeast should provide enough flavors to not really need that. I usually let mine ramp to 80 or higher, though I haven't used Bella so I can't speak to best range for that one. Interested to hear how it turns out.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I just pitched Wyeast 3711 into a Saison yesterday. I’m using Drew Beechum’s Citra Saison recipe. The ingredients for a 2.5 gallon batch are:

2 lbs 12 oz Pilsner
2 lbs Wheat malt
4 oz Munich
5.6 oz Cane sugar
.35 oz Magnum @ 60 minutes
1 oz Citra @ 5 minutes

Total IBU 39

1. 3711 pitched at 66 for three days
2. Let free rise to 72 degrees

Og 1.061, Fg 1.012, IBU 39

I’m using his “open ferment” method.
It’s not really open fermentation. Instead of an air lock you just cover the opening with foil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Banjo, swen, A little bit of wheat is probably a good idea and would add to head. not to much to be cloudy. I really want to keep this down in the 1060's because I know bella will take you close to 1.000
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Banjo-guy wrote: I’m using his “open ferment” method.
It’s not really open fermentation. Instead of an air lock you just cover the opening with foil.
All the recipes sound good. This "semi-open ferment" method is basically just the same as how my fermenters work. Non-pressurized fermentation like this is good if you do not want to suppress ester production. You can still make clean beers this way too, but you have to use common sense in your yeast choice and temperatures.

Bella Saison is as far as I'm concerned the same yeast as 3711, you just end up often pitching more then you would with 3711, unless you are building a big starter with the liquid kind. Since both are Sac. var Diasticus strains, both will ferment out stupidly low if you pitch enough because the yeast can create what amounts to its own enzymes in the fermenter to bust up complex sugars and even starches and then eat them.

I don't ever make beers > 1.60 with French Saison, it just makes stupidly strong beer when you do.

Bella / 3711 do not need really high temperatures, if it gets into the mid 70s it's plenty warm for it to do all it's things. It won't hurt anything if it gets into the 80s, but it's not going to add a lot to the beer. Bella/3711 actually will make beer in the low 60s just fine.

This is unlike Belgian saison strains, where hitting the 80s will get you the juiciest bubblegum and maybe even is necessary to make it ferment out in a reasonable length of time (some of those yeasts can get really slow and stall if not hot enough).

They are really 2 very different animals. (these 2 French Saison strains vs. Belgian strains).
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I've got a Saison in the lineup also. I'm going to wait until mid late July or August to brew mine. My basement will be warmer then. I'm going to run a recipe that Inkleg did quite some time ago. Here's the recipe thread... Inkleg's Le Petite Saison
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: I don't ever make beers > 1.60 with French Saison, it just makes stupidly strong beer when you do.
Mash, remember back a few years ago I bought a Midwest extract kit called Drunken Farmer on sale, super high og and you got the same kit from Northern but called something different and I can't remember the name. I brewed mine as is, you broke yours down and made 2 or 3 batches out of the same kit you were the smart one there and I was a Drunken Farmer. I was just looking to put together a Saison or two to brew this summer and haven't did it in awhile. I came across the morebeer kit and sounded interesting because I like saaz, but don't like that kind of ABV in the end. Going to get my stuff from my LHBS, but I have some caramunich and want to use Bella again.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:
mashani wrote: got the same kit from Northern but called something different and I can't remember the name.
Storm the Bastille is the Northern kit that is identical. Yeah you can make 3 table saisons out of it, which is more to my liking then a 1.08 beer that ferments out to 1.003 or 0.997 LOL.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Saisons are made with whatever the farmer had on hand, so wheat, barley, etc. whatever you have left around can go in. The flavor seems to me to come entirely from the yeast, so it isn't critical. And yeah the hard part with that yeast is NOT making a 10% beer. I shoot for 1.45 OG and hope it doesn't go to 6% ABV

Monty