Grainfather

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Grainfather

Post by FrozenInTime »

Well, Northern Brewer just sent me an e-mail for a Grainfather with free 55lb sack of 2-row. I don't know if it's not enough coffee yet this morning, or the huge Father's Day sale, but I jumped. It is a darn good price, could not turn it down. I have been wanting one for a few years so now, here it comes! WOOHOO :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
If anyone has been holding off, waiting for a great price, this is it. I have not seen it anywhere for this low a price, AND a free 55lb sack of grain! AND, free shipping.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Beer-lord

Re: Grainfather

Post by Beer-lord »

Congrats and Happy Father's Day! Keep us updated on the new toy and how it works for you.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Good for you to treat yourself.
Now includes the Connect Controller. You can take direct control of the Grainfather with your iPhone or Android using Bluetooth. Use the Connect Control Box in conjunction with the Connect App for the ultimate brewing experience.
The tech geek in me thinks this is cool even if I never used the feature.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Nice, I looked into the grainfather when I was upgrading a few years ago. That is a decent deal on that unit. Welcome to the all-in-one electric brewing club. Post your reviews when you start brewing with it.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Hey, good luck with your Grainfather.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Price is the same at multiple sites, but the sack of grain is unique to Northern, owned by AB-InBev.

Interesting economics, because the Grainfather is drop shipped from the manufacturer, but the bag of grain would be shipped by Northern, or drop shipped by someone else.

Adventures in Homebrewing doesn't have the sack of grain, but you get 5% back in reward dollars which would be worth $40.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Grainfather has a MAP, so prices should be the same everywhere. They did have a Black Friday sale last year that let it drop to $799, which was the lowest I’ve ever seen it. Still too rich for my blood, but good luck with yours! I’ll be following from the side lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Seems to me ... Plug'n Chug brewing takes much the fun out of home-beering.
[Full disclosure: MrB fermentor FTW!]

Now ... if someone would market a hands-free packaging system ... I'm all in.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I can tell you that my Mash & Boil has put the fun back into all grain brewing for me. It takes time, but mostly I can just ignore it and do whatever and not worry about things lighting on fire or boil overs or the like. I'm still doing the things I like, building a recipe, measuring out the grains and hops, giving it a stir whenever I feel like it, etc. But the things I don't like, like cleaning up the mess from a BIAB bag, etc... it's so much easier.

Oh and I use what are technically "Mr. Beer" fermenters these days, although they came from Coopers. 3 gallon version of their bigger Coopers fermenter, Mr. Beer sells them too. They hold 4 gallons with headspace with an extension "collar" you can drop in, but only 3 max liquid. Or 2.5 gallons liquid is safe without the collar thing, as it's like 3.25 or something with the headspace without it.

All that said I'd use a magical packaging device too if there was one.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

HerbMeowing wrote:Seems to me ... Plug'n Chug brewing takes much the fun out of home-beering.
No it isn't really Herb, I have brewed a lot of beers with different ways but a all-in-one system is nice and you still are making beer and the way you want it. Make's making beer easier, but still making it. I like my all in one brewing thing, but to each their own on how they want to do it, the final results? we make beer :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

berryman wrote:
HerbMeowing wrote:Seems to me ... Plug'n Chug brewing takes much the fun out of home-beering.
No it isn't really Herb, I have brewed a lot of beers with different ways but a all-in-one system is nice and you still are making beer and the way you want it.....
berryman is correct.
I am using my Mash & Boil more as a heat and boil.
I heat the mash water but then actually mash in an Igloo tun. During the mash I heat my sparge water and that goes into an Igloo HLT. Then I run the sparge into the Mash & Boil for the actual boil.
So as berryman said "...you are still making beer the way you want it...".