yeast flavor

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

yeast flavor

Post by Gman20 »

hey guys im thinking a wheat beer is really gonna hit the spot this summer so thats what im brewing

my question is this....is there a yeast for wheat beer that i could brew at 2 different temps to get a different flavor profile from the yeast
i will be brewing this in 2 different lbks and have a temp controlled area that i could dial in a temp and the other half of batch will go in basement at about 68 degrees
Beer-lord

Re: yeast flavor

Post by Beer-lord »

Wyeast 1007 German Ale (kolsch) yeast is good from the mid 50;s to mid 60's. It can taste more like a lager at 55 and a kolsch at 65.
It's been a while since I brewed with it but in the 60's it gives off a farty, sulphor smell that I didn't get in the mid 50's. I'm not so sure how much difference you'll get between the temps but both should be clean tasting.

And, I've never tried it but many lager yeasts will produce ale like flavors in the mid 60's so you could make a true lager at 52 and and faux ale at 65 with some.
https://homebrewanswers.com/lager-ferme ... peratures/
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: yeast flavor

Post by mashani »

All German wheat beer yeasts will give different flavors at different temps. Most will tend towards clove/spice at lower temperatures, and towards fruity/banana at higher temperatures (unless you pitch too much then they tend towards neutral with very mild banana).

Wyeast 3638 (Bavarian Wheat) will give a totally different flavor profile with apple/pear/plum esters and much less banana. You can also use Wyeast 3787 or White Labs WLP530, which although are "Belgian" yeasts will work well and will give you those same type of esters. Again best if you do not over pitch, and the hotter it gets the more of the esters you will get.