High Gravity eBIAB Recirculation Manifold

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

High Gravity eBIAB Recirculation Manifold

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Yesterday in an effort to increase the mash efficiency of my brewing system I put this recirculation manifold together. The HG system I have has a sprinkler installed in the lid of the kettle. The wort hits the top of the grain bed and then makes its way down to the return port at the bottom of the kettle.

But what if the incoming wort went into the center of the grain bed instead and was then directed outward? I plan to water test my invention tonight and see if eighteen holes will produce the right amount of agitation in the mash.
mash-manifold1-sml.jpg
mash-manifold1-sml.jpg (101.72 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: High Gravity eBIAB Recirculation Manifold

Post by berryman »

Keep us posted on how it works. Designing and building things is half the fun of brewing for me.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Vince, I also am watching. However, I've found that no matter what BIAB system you have, nothing beats a good stir every 15 minutes.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I ran some cold water through the recirculation manifold late yesterday with the pump wide open. The streams of water seem to have just enough force to agitate the grain bed. I'll post my results next weekend when I try it out on a 10-gallon batch.
mash-manifold2-sml.jpg
mash-manifold2-sml.jpg (138.05 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
A nice thing about this design is by giving the lid a quarter turn every so often the streams of water will point at different areas of the grain bed. Hopefully eliminating the need to lift the lid and manually stir the mash while the pump is running. It has the potential to increase mash efficiency while allowing me to become lazier :lol:

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:It has the potential to increase mash efficiency while allowing me to become lazier :lol:
Spoken like a true homebrewer! :clink:
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That's pretty awesome. I like the "become lazier" part!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've found found that if I open my Riptide valve too much, the grain can become compacted in a certain area. I doubt this could happen with your invention as it's multi-directional but I assume it does not turn or spin, correct?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:I've found found that if I open my Riptide valve too much, the grain can become compacted in a certain area. I doubt this could happen with your invention as it's multi-directional but I assume it does not turn or spin, correct?
You're correct, it would have to be turned by hand now. Although adding a small stepper motor and a controller to periodically give the lid a quarter turn has crossed my mind. Ideally using the force of the recirculated wort to spin the manifold would be the way to go. :idea: