Kegging freezer

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Scoper50

Kegging freezer

Post by Scoper50 »

Hey guys, so I'm looking into getting a couple 5 gallon kegs. Up until now I've been bottling and I'm ready to make the transition. This post is about keeping those kegs cold. I have space in my basement for a small chest freezer that could hold 2 or 3 kegs with the co2 inside. What size freezer should I be looking for and are there any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Also, I'm not that familiar with chest freezers. Are the temperature controls capable of being turned down to say...36 degrees F without modification? I obviously don't want to actually freeze anything.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Kegging freezer

Post by berryman »

Scoper50 wrote:Hey guys, so I'm looking into getting a couple 5 gallon kegs. Up until now I've been bottling and I'm ready to make the transition. This post is about keeping those kegs cold. I have space in my basement for a small chest freezer that could hold 2 or 3 kegs with the co2 inside. What size freezer should I be looking for and are there any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Also, I'm not that familiar with chest freezers. Are the temperature controls capable of being turned down to say...36 degrees F without modification? I obviously don't want to actually freeze anything.
I am in the process of building a keezer myself and have done quite a lot of research on the subject.
Here is a good sizing chart https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... ts.377518/ I am using a 7 cu.ft. and can put 4 in but I am putting the co2 outside. A freezer's temp control won't go high enough to not freeze and you need an external after market controller. You will most likely have to build a collar for the extra height and to mount your spigots with out drilling into the freezer itself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWy_Vlw3J4 Or you could put a tower on the cover but are a little pricy. Lots of good info on the web on this subject.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I have an Igloo, pretty sure it is 7.1 cu ft. I can keep 3) 5 G kegs plus one 2.5 G keg and the 5lb CO2 on the hump without a collar, just use a picnic tap and CO2 manifold. I have a couple Inkbird ITC-308 temp controllers they seem to work the best for me, turn the freezer to coldest setting then set the temp controller to the desired temp, also set the delay time to at least 5 minutes or more so it doesnt over cycle the compressor.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Another option is to have a regular upright fridge. I have two 5's in mine but could put a third in. No temp controller and picnic taps.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

berryman wrote:Another option is to have a regular upright fridge. I have two 5's in mine but could put a third in. No temp controller and picnic taps.
This is my setup also. Fridge on the top half, freezer on the bottom. All shelves removed. I can fit 4 kegs and the CO2/regulator set up in mine.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck