co2 tank in or out of the cooler?

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

co2 tank in or out of the cooler?

Post by berryman »

I realize that when a tank is at cold temps. the high side reading is not accurate, makes me wonder about the low side (serving press.) also. I have a lot of tanks of various gasses that I use for cutting/welding and I like to know when they are getting low. I was going to put the tank in the kezzer I am building for a cleaner outside look but now thinking would be better on the outside. Thoughts?
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: co2 tank in or out of the cooler?

Post by MadBrewer »

I have Always kept mine in the fridge with the kegs, never had a problem. I never thought of the affect on the low pressure but I have never noticed any difference. I would imagine if there is an affect it is very small compared to the high pressure.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've always had mine outside until two weeks ago when I upgraded to a dual-regulator and realized that I don't have two holes to run two lines into the fridge. I moved it inside and have seen no change in readings, carb levels, etc.

And in all my reading I've never seen any comment from anybody about the serving pressure readings being off, just the high side (volume in tank).
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I keep mine inside the fridge with the kegs. Never seemed to have a problem with serving pressure. As mentioned, the guage for the tank pressure is off. But, over time, you'll figure out how the reading on the guage relates to what's in the tank. And, the tank will get lighter as you use CO2, so you could always go by weight too. If you want to be that exact that is.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Two actual kegerators tanks are outside, the keezer it's inside. Once the inside one is chilled completely I re-adjust the regulator.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

mine has always been in side. just because its convenient
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I moved mine outside the refrigerator so I could fit four instead of just two kegs inside my economy sized refrigerator. Doing so also made the reading the gauge showing how much Co2 remaining more accurate. I also had to secure the Co2 tank to a wall to prevent the gauges from breaking if the tank fell over. Other than that I had no other reasons to keep it inside.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I bought a pre-made kegerator and it was made to have the CO2 inside. I never aw a reason to make any modifications. That's not quite true. I bought a dual tap tower, but I never got around to installing it.