First timer

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

First timer

Post by Beer-lord »

Today's brew some new things for me- hop extract for bittering and hop hash for dry hop. I've never used either. The hop extract is from Yakima Valley and is a 3ml (I'm only using 2ml at bittering) shot of mostly "60% Columbus (or other CTZ) hops for bittering and 40% blended aroma varieties. It is extremely concentrated (current batch is 61.1% AA) and is the better way to bitter. "
The hop hash can be used at whirlpool but many say not any sooner than flame out. I guess it's too hoppy. I'm not sure how this resinous hash will dissolve in the fermenter but I'll found out.
Attachments
Hop Hash.jpg
Hop Hash.jpg (642.65 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: First timer

Post by John Sand »

Cool. I've used hop extract in a IIPA recipe. It was great.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

So...what are the benefits to each of those? I assume it's not cost, as I'm guessing you're paying the same amount when you do the math (more money for a smaller concentrated amount, right)?
Is it less 'waste' in the fermentor/kettle?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kealia wrote:So...what are the benefits to each of those? I assume it's not cost, as I'm guessing you're paying the same amount when you do the math (more money for a smaller concentrated amount, right)?
Is it less 'waste' in the fermentor/kettle?
For me, I just wanted to try them. But, I think the hop extract is mostly for those who do large and big, hoppy IPA's with large bittering amounts and this keeps the hop junk to almost nothing. Before I ordered them, I had read this:
Hop Resin Extract Benefits:
• Increased final volume through reduced kettle trub
• Reduced hot-side brew kettle foam formation during the boil
• Bitterness, flavor, and aroma via late boil additions
• Variety-specific hop character and related notes in beer
• Reduced vegetal and polyphenol flavor contribution
• Increased alpha utilization approx. 5% of regular hops/pellets
• Excellent stability of alpha acids, beta acids, and hop oils
• Extended shelf life and reduced storage requirements
Then, as a Brulosophy Patreon member, I got a great price on some and figure I'd try both the extract and has.
Regarding the hash, it's only available when they are pellitizing hops as they have to keep cleaning the machines of the sticky, oily stuff and someone got a great idea about selling it. So, only a small amount is sold each year. Its supposed to get better utilization than pellet and whole hops but loses some herbal and grassy characteristics but they suggest it only for very late/whirlpool additions or dry hop. Since it's my first time, I'm only trying it as a dry hop but plan on whirlpool beer soon. It is different from cryo hops which I really like as well. This all might be nothing at all but you know I have to find out for myself.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That's why you are the Beer-lord!

Interesting for sure. It sounds like the hop hash is the stuff that stuck to the machines while processing the actual pellets. Like you said, somebody decided to try and sell it.
It reminds me of the coffee bean industry when somebody decided to sell the mash/fruit after picking out the coffee beans. Turns out that it has huge anti-oxidant properties and they started making money on what used to be waste.

You put that in your beer....go ahead, and let us know how it is :p