If anyone wants a Mash & Boil for $239 (with free shipping)

Share a deal or a steal you found with your BeerBorg buddies!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

If anyone wants a Mash & Boil for $239 (with free shipping)

Post by mashani »

I know nothing about this brew shop but:

https://brewngrow.com/pages/black-friday-sale-2018

I am going to guess it's going to get drop shipped like the $250 deal was.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: If anyone wants a Mash & Boil for $239 (with free shippi

Post by The_Professor »

We don't offer shipping to California.
:(

Edit: But Austin Home Brew had it for the same price shipped 7.99 flat rate shipping.
:)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Seems like lots of places do, it's up on Amazon too.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I’ve read that they have one with a pump now, Maybe they’re phasing out the original unit that has no pump.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I ordered this mostly because it offers electric heating rather than propane. People seem to be happy with it so I hope it works for me as well.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The_Professor wrote:I ordered this mostly because it offers electric heating rather than propane. People seem to be happy with it so I hope it works for me as well.
I've been happy with mine. It allows me to brew indoors and without adding a 220 (220, 221, whatever it takes) outlet.

I haven't been getting the great conversion that most people seem to get, but I suspect it's a matter of getting things dialed in, and I'm still working on that.

Note that it does require a GFCI outlet. Most modern homes have at least a few of these in the kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry rooms. If you're in an older home, you will probably want to either wire a GFCI outlet or get a GFCI outlet that plugs into a standard outlet.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Banjo-guy wrote:I’ve read that they have one with a pump now, Maybe they’re phasing out the original unit that has no pump.
I bought a pump and saw no difference when I used the pump, so I stopped using it. One less thing to clean.

If you're thinking of getting one, I wouldn't wait for the pump to be available (unless you think that will lead to a lower price on the first version).
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

bpgreen wrote:.....Note that it does require a GFCI outlet. Most modern homes have at least a few of these in the kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry rooms. If you're in an older home, you will probably want to either wire a GFCI outlet or get a GFCI outlet that plugs into a standard outlet.
I noticed that. It seems the only GFCI outlet I have is in the bathroom. I'll pick up an adapter.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I received my Mash & Boil today. I was expecting it to take longer.
Will probably start brewing with it the end of December beginning of January.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Welcome to the club!
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

mashani wrote:Welcome to the club!
Trying to get back into brewing after a a halt for a number of months I first thought I'd get an extract kit to brew. That should be easy. It's still sitting around.
Then I thought the old "Sumerian beer" thing would get me going and I have done a few of those.
The Mash & Boil caught my eye, I had seen a number of people on this board are making beer with it so it seems worth a try. Something like the Grainfather is much too pricey.
So maybe I'll make some beer with it. :)
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

A pump is not needed on this to make beer. I use one to make my life easier. It is a good unit for what it is. I like it....
Edit: better off getting one without a pump and if want/need one add to your own liking
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

berryman wrote:A pump is not needed on this to make beer. I use one to make my life easier. It is a good unit for what it is. I like it....
Edit: better off getting one without a pump and if want/need one add to your own liking
As long as the Mash & Boil heats and boils VIA electricity I will be making beer with it.
It's possible I will use the Mash & Boil to heat my mash and sparge water but mash in a mash tun then finally boiling the finished wort in the Mash & Boil.
That seems like an efficient way to use the electric heating of the Mash & Boil.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The_Professor wrote: It's possible I will use the Mash & Boil to heat my mash and sparge water but mash in a mash tun then finally boiling the finished wort in the Mash & Boil.
That seems like an efficient way to use the electric heating of the Mash & Boil.
You could do that, but it's probably "more work" then just doing it all in there, especially if you are doing a smaller batch IE 3 gallons where you can just do what amounts to a no-sparge BIAB and call it done and save a step. The insulation on the thing is pretty good (so good that it takes 20 hours to slow-chill a batch left in it), so the burner will only kick on a handful of times during a mash and then only for something like 30 seconds each time it does. So it's not using up much more electricity.

Just mentioning it since you were saying (or it seems like you were saying at least) that you've not been so motivated.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The_Professor wrote:
berryman wrote:A pump is not needed on this to make beer. I use one to make my life easier. It is a good unit for what it is. I like it....
As long as the Mash & Boil heats and boils VIA electricity I will be making beer with it.
It's possible I will use the Mash & Boil to heat my mash and sparge water but mash in a mash tun then finally boiling the finished wort in the Mash & Boil.
That would certainly work. I like the ease of leaving the wort in the M&B. I used to heat the sparge water on the stove near the end of the mash. Recently, I've been reading that there's no need to heat the sparge water, so I`ve tried that the last few batches.

Mashani posted while I was composing my reply. If you're trying to save time, you can set it up so it's at mash temperature when you wake up. To save even more time, you can mash overnight so it's ready to start sparging and heating to a boil when you wake up.

Since you like to experiment, you could even add hops for the overnight mash with no boil. I tried that on my last batch, but I think I'll go back to boiling just because it's what I'm most comfortable doing.