Brewing Ancient Sumerian Beer

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Brewing Ancient Sumerian Beer

Post by mashani »

I see einkorn and spelt on nuts.com, but not the emmer. They do have some crushed up cereal grain mixes that look to be interesting to try in a Saison or a Tripel Karmeit like beer one day.

I suppose spelt would sort of be like emmer, but I know it's not the same thing, it's "newerish".

I know that some Norwegian's brewed a "stone age beer" (not really as far as process like you are doing) using einkorn and liked the results.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

mashani wrote:I see einkorn and spelt on nuts.com, but not the emmer......
Check out Organic Farro.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Here is a pour pic of the third "Sumerian beer".

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The_Professor wrote:
mashani wrote:I see einkorn and spelt on nuts.com, but not the emmer......
Check out Organic Farro.
Farro is kind of a generic Italian term that could mean einkorn, spelt, or emmer and maybe even more. In Italy they would tack on another word IE "Farro Grande" (that would be Spelt) to identify what kind of grain that Farro actually is composed of. Are you certain what they sell as Farro is actually emmer and not something else?

Not that it really probably matters all that much.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

mashani wrote:...Are you certain what they sell as Farro is actually emmer and not something else?
Not that it really probably matters all that much.
I'm Not. Sometimes I see a grain listed as emmer farro. The farro at nuts.com says only farro. It appears similar to grain I have purchased as emmer farro. But that's probably the farro part.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I am reading the Hymn To Ninkasi this evening.
One line is :
Having founded your town upon wax, she completed its great walls for you. Ninkasi, having founded your town upon wax, she completed its great walls for you.

Anyone care to describe to me what it was like to clean the pelicle out of your fermenter?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The only kind of pellicle I've ever seen that I'd call "waxy" is an acetobacter one but that would tend to make vinegar not beer, and also it doesn't really stick to the sides of the fermenter vessel but floats on top of the surface. Those types if left to be can become very thick, to the point where you can pick them up in your hands and toss them around without them falling apart.

All of the wild yeast/brett pellicles I've seen/had are more powdery like and fall apart easily. They also float on top, not on the sides of the fermenter. The whole point of the pellicle is to "cap" the beer to keep oxygen from bothering the bugs.

Now when you drain the vessel, the powdery stuff can stick all down the sides of it as it gets pulled apart leaving the fermenter coated with a thin layer of the stuff.

But this just washes right off, it doesn't stick or seem "waxy" beyond maybe the "look of it" as such.

I've never found that having a pellicle made a fermenter hard to clean in the sense of it sticking to it or something like that.

If interpreted as totally enclosing the beer so it is surrounded by "walls on all sides" (including the top) then I could see this verse making sense in describing a pellicle though if the "look" is what they meant.