Source for Strata hops?

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Source for Strata hops?

Post by Kealia »

Does anybody know/have a source for Strata hops?

I've searched but am coming up empty and would like to make an APA/IPA using them.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Source for Strata hops?

Post by The_Professor »

Looks like Farmhouse has them.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I got the ones I used from Farmhouse.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Hmm, my reply didn't take. I looked at them because they were the only ones that really came up in a search but they are out of stock.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Strata Hops For Sale Looks like they have some.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Bought some, thanks.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Happy to help!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, my experience with them was backward from the descriptions, IE my beer tasted and smelled more someone lit a joint then tropical/citrus. I didn't mind, but just sayin..

But who knows, maybe I got a weird batch.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've actually had a local brew that showcases them. I definitely got the citrus/joint on both the aroma and taste.

I plan to do a simple 15-minute DME batch with late additions and a steep (as I've done in the past for quick brews and that you, of course, are familiar with). I want to see if I can get a nice citrusy/danky pale ale out of them.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I got both too, it was just more of the dope. I'm fairly certain I did a quick short boil extract batch with them, with all of the hops 10 minutes and flameout or something like that. I know I liked the result.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

So I just had another of the cans of the Strata beer last night and it does have a nice balance between the two.
It was wet-hopped with Strata as well so that could be changing what gets presented.

Either way, I'm anxious to give this a try when they arrive.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

My hops arrived today and while I'm anxious to try them out, I currently have a 5'er in the fermentation chamber so it will be a few weeks at the earliest before I can whip something up with them.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Since I only have one arm at the moment (the second is in a sling) and I want to use these hops I think I'm going to use the old 15-minute Pale Ale recipe I've used in the past to try a 3G test batch. It's a 15-minute boil with a 30-minute hopstand using DME so it will be easy to whip up, with minimal carrying (and I'll get help for that part).

Update to follow....in a month or so after it is brewed (hopefully this weekend) and then carbed and conditioned.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Man, those hops are expensive. I've seen a few youtube videos with people sharing beers with this hop and many mention strawberry. Probably be a good hop for a NEIPA.
If you pay my expenses, I'll come this weekend and even do an all grain brew day for you!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I never updated this thread - the APA came out good - as this simple recipe/process always does. What I'm getting from these is the citrus aspect but none of the dank/cannabis elements that I've tasted before.

I was out this weekend and a few breweries and found that more and more are getting their hands on these hops so I got to try a few pales and IPAs with them - and a can from another I brought home to try, too. What I've experienced so far is that the pale ales exhibit the citrus qualities but it's only been the IPAs that showcase the cannabis/dank side. Based on that LIMITED information as well as my own experience it leads me to the hypothesis that maybe it's the dry hop that releases the dank elements and boiling the hops drives those off.

So...I'll keep experimenting and tasting. I think I have enough left over to add to a dry hop the next time I brew something so I can see if that pulls it out or not. What I can say is that when I get both the citrus and dankness from this hop it is quickly becoming a favorite.