Leaf Hops

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Leaf Hops

Post by FrozenInTime »

What would happen if I just bagged them and froze them straight from the bine??
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote: I would love to dry them outside on a screen but I don't think it would go well with our nights below 30 now. It got cold quick, caught me with my... garden down. I barely got my camper winterized before it hit, literally by hours.
I think your climate is a lot like ours here in western NY but more drastic. I tried dying outside on screens but the sun would bake them during the day and damp at night. Maybe in a open air barn or garage with a fan would work. for the little I have I plug away with the dehydrator. Dry them down between a 1/4 and a 1/3 weight vacuum seal and freezer and will keep for awhile. We haven't hit that cold yet, no frost yet but I bet in another week or so will have one.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

RickBeer wrote:
Oh, and they're hop bines, not hop vines.
220-221 whatever it takes! :p

Pretty sure if you froze them immediately you would be ok, but you would be best to vacuum seal them before freezing.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

berryman wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote: I would love to dry them outside on a screen but I don't think it would go well with our nights below 30 now. It got cold quick, caught me with my... garden down. I barely got my camper winterized before it hit, literally by hours.
I think your climate is a lot like ours here in western NY but more drastic. I tried dying outside on screens but the sun would bake them during the day and damp at night. Maybe in a open air barn or garage with a fan would work. for the little I have I plug away with the dehydrator. Dry them down between a 1/4 and a 1/3 weight vacuum seal and freezer and will keep for awhile. We haven't hit that cold yet, no frost yet but I bet in another week or so will have one.
Seems a bit drastic for brewing, no? :lol:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

First, remember the urgency here. 48 hours from picking is considering the max. So work as quickly as possible.

Everything I have ever read says not to freeze hops before drying. Cells burst, etc.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Well poop... was 3 days when I pulled the vacuum sealer out, half were the ones wet from the bine. Guess I should pay more attention to detail next season. Cells bust, releases more oils? Yea-yea, I know... LOL biggest problem I have is they were all still on the bine before I could get to them, after a nights below 30. Brewed up a batch with them yesterday wet, I know all of them did not get ruined, the smash I did was not malty/sweet, came out more like a good hard IPA although that did overshoot what I was going for. I will see after fermenting/conditioning.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I think it will be fine.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

They may have lost some potency, but they'll still make beer.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Cool, thanks! I'll check that out.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Welp, put keg in da chilla, had a glass of it last night. Holly poop batman, that is good stuff! I did use the hops *wet* but was surprised no grassy flavor. I used a total of 5 oz's hops, I might have got away with less. Smell is nice, not real overpowering and taste is pretty good! I had aimed for a lightly hoppy brew so I could taste where the hops where at. I ended up with a light IPA, not too bitter, just right. The home-grown hops are going to make a nice addition to my homebrews! Started out OG 1.034, FG at 1.002 with some ranched US05 so I figure 4.192% ABV, nice SMASH session brewski.