Smashing Pumpkin Question

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zepbrew7

Smashing Pumpkin Question

Post by zepbrew7 »

Hi all,
have a question. my AG smashing pumpkin kit should arrive from northern brewer any day now. have read mixed reviews on whether to add pumpkin to the mash. no one is selling them in my area yet, and canned pumpkin seems to cause problems draining the tun. from what i understand, the flavor comes from the pumkin spice anyway. if anyone has any experience with this brew or has ideas, they would be appreciated. thanks
Sheltie Brewery

Drinking

Dead Ringer IPA
Caribou Slobber
Sierra Nevada clone
Moose Drool

Conditioning

Sierra Madre
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Smashing Pumpkin Question

Post by MadBrewer »

I havent added pumpkin to the mash but I have added it to the boil. If I was to do it again I would roast the pumpkin in the oven and add to the mash. Im one that figures a pumpkin beer needs pumpkin. Not for the flavor since yeah thats all from the spices but thats just my opinion. To he honnest canned yams make for a great pumpkin beer and they actually have some flavor. That is what I use along with spices.
Brew Strong My Friends...
christler

Post by christler »

I brewed a pumpkin ale a few Weeks ago and used canned pumpkin. Roasted it and added to the mash. I do biab so I didn't have to worry about a stuck sparge. Would rice hulls help?
I think i've read boiling the pumpkin leaves you with a bunch of gunk in your fermenter. I would try to mash with it if possible. Just my .02
zepbrew7

Post by zepbrew7 »

thanks for the input. the recipe says to roast 6 to 8 lbs of pumpin, then cut the rind off and add to mash. i just don't have access to a pumpkin right now. i also read that you can substitute butternut squash. can you roast canned pumpkin? would you just spread it out on a cookie sheet?
Sheltie Brewery

Drinking

Dead Ringer IPA
Caribou Slobber
Sierra Nevada clone
Moose Drool

Conditioning

Sierra Madre