Electric Brewing

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Electric Brewing

Post by Beer-lord »

BlackDuck wrote:Nice looking system. Do you think you'll lose hop character by using that screen? It seems to me, especially with the amount of hops you use, that they would get all bunched up in the middle and not be exposed to the wort.
Yes I do and I slightly adjusted it but will likely have to make more adjustments in the future. I did stir it often and also hope the whirlpooling the last 14 minutes before flameout and while chilling the beer down will bring out the best of the hoppage.
But, I think I screwed up with my water additions so this batch, though it went smoothly hardware wise, might be a loss. Then again, it may be the best damn beer ever made. But I'm just hoping that its at least decent enough not to pitch out. Because, I use all the Exp. Tangerine I had, 1/2 lb. :oops:
This is why I say I'm OCD, I can't leave good enough alone!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Nice looking system Paul great to hear your first brew day was a success.

Interesting about the hops. I have a 5500 watt ULWD element in my kettle and have loose hopped since about my second brew. The element is slightly discolored, but it’s more from beer stone.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm playing it by ear but have to say that I may go command in the future. But I did like the fact that the beer that went into my fermenter was pretty clear for a BIAB.
Wonder if Blichmann is just particular about their Boil Coil. It does take up a lot more real estate than water heater elements.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Just a quick note for anyone else who might be interested in the system I have or something similar-----5 brews in and I'm extremely happy. I did have a few challenges with stuck mashes but after tweaking my system, the last 2 batches were no problems and worked like a treat! The first beer was not exceptional but I screwed up my water adjustments but the batches 2-4 were excellent and #5 is in the fermenter and all indications are it's also perfectly fine.
In the end, with the new circuit added ($400 due to the over 80 feet distance from the service box) I spent a bit more than I wanted but I'm fully happy with what I got and how it works now that the tweaking is done.
Bottom line is, High Gravity Brewing is a great company to work with and I feel I got the best bang for my buck.
There's beer to be had!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black