Homebrewing in the tropics

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Caretaker

Homebrewing in the tropics

Post by Caretaker »

Good morning all!
So I recently started homebrewing in Belize and have been working with the great guys over at Brew Demon on equipment and product. I've bottle conditioned my first batch of cider (blackberry) and now ready to rack the second (Red Devil's Wheat). My challenge on the first 2 rounds is keeping the must between 64* - 84* for fermentation during these now warmer and more humid months in the tropics. I tried the blackberry after bottle conditioning for 2 weeks and while it possess decent carbonation (using Cooper's fizz drops) and alcohol content the flavor profile is something less than desired. I am letting the blackberry bottle condition for another week to see what changes.

On to our second batch: I saw a lot of yeast activity for the first couple days then VERY little afterwards. For the second week of fermenting the Red Devil I added ice packs around the conical chamber to try to keep the temp within a suitable range thinking that might help. I also just resourced a yeast nutrient product on Amazon that reviewers thought helped fuel the yeast if conditions were less than ideal. I realize I am going through the learning curve; however, I sure hate to waste product as there are currently limited resources here locally where I live.

Any insight the group can share with this newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your consideration and have a great day...CHEERS!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Homebrewing in the tropics

Post by John Sand »

Your first few days are the most important time for temperature control. I haven't fermented any cider, but most ale yeasts are best fermented below 70. A cooler with ice packs is simplest, a small refrigerator with a temperature controller is a big step.
It seems challenging at first, but after a while it all becomes more routine.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Another simple option (although maybe not, if it's impossible to get) would be to use a yeast strain that actually likes warm temperatures. Omega yeast labs has at least 3 different varieties, hothead is the cleanest one, it will just give you some light tropical fruit flavors. They have a couple of other Kveik yeast strains that will give you more pronounced orange or tropical fruit flavors. None of them are really "funky" or "phenolic", they are just a bit citrusy or tropical in flavor. If those types of flavors wouldn't bother you (IE sounds good to me in a wheat beer or pale ale or IPA for sure), they will be perfectly fine fermenting up to 90 degrees, and no direct temperature control is required for them.

If you like Saison Dupont, and would like to make a beer like that one day, then Belgian Saison yeast strains also are perfectly fine fermenting in the 80-90 degree range, and even if it hits something dumb like 97 degrees post primary fermentation it will still be ok.

But I don't know if you can get those kinds of yeast strains there easily or at all.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

THANK YOU John and Mashani! I appreciate the assistance and support. The ice packs over the fermenter on the second brew have made a big difference on what I am racking today John. The must sample I tasted seemed right on point. My wife is heading back to the states in a couple weeks so I will have her pick up the items you've suggested Mashani. Have a great day and CHEERS! Dean
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Glad to hear it Dean.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Caretaker wrote:On to our second batch: I saw a lot of yeast activity for the first couple days then VERY little afterwards.
I just wanted to pipe up and say this is perfectly normal. Every yeast strain is different, and even the same strain can act differently.

If you stick with this hobby, you might want to look into a mini-fridge and a Johnson Controls (or the like) to make a fermentation chamber.

You said you tried your first batch, and are going to try another in a week. Just in case you didn't know yet, but most beers need to condition 4 weeks minimum, some longer. I only write this so you won't get too discouraged by off flavors. Plus, it's your first batch, it would be a miracle if it turned out perfect.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Thanks for the note and support Bluejaye - have a great day!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

You mention seeing a lot of yeast activity for the first few days, then little after. That's normal. In fact, much of the yeast activity you can't see.

Temperature control is important for the first 1- 5 or so days. After that, temps can get a little higher, but you really don't want wort temps to get much higher than low 70s.

I would NOT pursue yeast nutrients. Totally unnecessary for brewing Brew Demon or Mr. Beer refills, or normal beer brewing. Can't speak to cider though.

Many times we offer help and tell new brewers that they should ship some of each batch to us for "scientific testing"... However, in your case, I think it would be better if an on-site inspection, in-depth, was conducted. I volunteer to do this, simply book me a ticket, business class.

Rick Beer
I will fly to Belize and help you Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48150
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)