Electric BIAB Heating Element Upgrade

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Electric BIAB Heating Element Upgrade

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

After four years of brewing the heating element in my boil kettle needed replacing. Finding the best replacement element was very easy after contacting Dave Knott at High Gravity Supply. He sent me an email later that day with three options. Option #1 was to replace the 5500-watt element with a Blichman Boil Coil. Which I ruled out because retrofitting it to my kettle would involve a lot more work. Option #3 would cost less but meant rewiring the new heating element to the original 220-volt cord. I opted to get option #3 which was a new design and came pre-wired with its own weldless bulkhead fitting and gasket.
2018-06-18 10.07.58-1.jpg
2018-06-18 10.07.58-1.jpg (71.61 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
While waiting for the parts to arrive in 4 or 5 days I started to remove the old heating element. Boiling some 500 gallons of wort had pretty much glued the element to the bulkhead fitting. This made it nearly impossible to loosen. A trip to Home Depot to buy another pair of channel lock pliers and some WD-40 oil and I was ready to try again. After a 24 hour soak with penetrating oil and using two pairs of pliers, I was able to remove the old element.
2018-06-20 07.08.23-sml.jpg
2018-06-20 07.08.23-sml.jpg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
The day the parts arrived I was able to install the new element and test the kettle for leaks. I am now ready to brew the next 50 batches of beer without worry.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
BlackDuck

Re: Electric BIAB Heating Element Upgrade

Post by BlackDuck »

Nice shiny new element you've got there. Nice work.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

:clink: Thank you.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

If I ever go electric, I’d buy from High Gravity. Great people from reviews.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:If I ever go electric, I’d buy from High Gravity. Great people from reviews.
It's been over 4 years since I bought my system from High Gravity. To this day when asking for his help Dave still thanks me for the wonderful online posts, I have given to his products and support.

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Just curious if it was suggested that you remove the element regularly for cleaning and also, did it just stop heating altogether or just taking longer to get to temperature?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

No actually while cleaning the element using a small brush like always I heard a snap. Then I found some pieces of black plastic on the kettle bottom. It still heated the same and there were no leaks. But I figured why take any chances since either thing could go sideways at the worst possible time. The 15-gallon kettle is clean in place (CIP) because the power cord is permanently mounted to the heating element.