Baseline Berliner Weiss

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: Baseline Berliner Weiss

Post by BlackDuck »

Glad to hear you hit a home run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Not the very first pour, but close enough.Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Wow...that looks tasty!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Nice job! It looks like the carb on that thing could fuel a rocket ship
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Haha, the carb actually isn't as high as that pic makes it look. That glass must not be 100% clean as some of the bubbles are sticking to the side of the glass. If this is going to stay in rotation I am actually considering upgrading to a dual-pressure regulator. That would allow me to quick-carb a batch without affecting the other tap, too.

Hmmm, maybe time to upgrade to 3 taps? ;P
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kealia wrote:Hmmm, maybe time to upgrade to 3 taps? ;P
No time to think about it, just do it!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Get a dual regulator, then Y off each one. Then you can run 4 lines. That’s how I do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

This keg kicked last - they REALLY liked this beer. While I do want to do an AG version at some point, I'm thinking that another quick DME batch is in my near future.

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I went online to order more Omega Lacto yeast and then decided against it. It's too damn hot and it wouldn't be here for about 10 days anyway.

So, I decided to run to the store to grab some of the Goodbelly shots but they were out. Grrr, drove a bit further to Whole Foods and they only had the flavored ones so I decided to give that a try. I grabbed the Tropical version and am making a starter now.

I'm going to use 8oz in a starter for 24-48 hours and see how it goes. Some people only use 8oz in a 5G batch with good results (no starter), so I guess I'll see how this goes.

If all goes well, I'll whip up some wheat DME on Tuesday and pitch the starter into a new 3G batch.

I wish I could get the yeast locally, but I don't want to pay for dead yeast that I have to wait 10 days for. I can be impatient, but from what I've read I think this will work out fine.

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Everything seemed to be going well so I made the DME this evening and pitched the 1L starter in at 95 degrees.

Just like last time, a completely full carboy with less than 1/2 inch of headspace to limit oxygen.

I was able to get the wort ph down to about 4.6 if I believe what the test strips said. That's a change from last time as well as the use of the GoodBelly so this batch has a couple of variables.

This was so damn quick and easy (again) that I felt (again) like I was missing something, but I guess it just IS that easy.

My plan is to check the pH and smell on Friday with plans to boil and pitch the Notty on Saturday if all is well.

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

That's cool.

I'm trying to figure out if I can do a sour mash in my insta-pot that I got a while ago. It has a nice convenient button that does 20 hours at 110 degrees. Which sounds about right. I'm sure I could do a 1 gallon goodbelly or yogurt or lacto pitch in it with some DME since pretty much that's what the button is for (yogurt), so if I can get that sour enough I might be able to just boil it and add it to some highly fermentable pilsner wort I whip up in the mash and boil and voila!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That sounds easy, too. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the DME/mash in my kettle so I don't have to transfer back and forth but temp control is going to be the bugger here.

I suppose I could do the Saran Wrap over the wort like Inkleg and just put my whole kettle in my fermenting chamber dangling the temp sensor on my STC-1000+ in the air, setting it for about 95.
Since the wort shouldn't be generating any heat during the sour - or not much I would think - that may work to eliminate the transferring to the glass carboy and back.

Sine this takes so little time to do, I may try that on the next batch - as I'm sure this will be in the rotation for a while now.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

As of this morning, my test strips show this at around 3.2 so it looks like it worked quickly.
I won't get to the boil until Saturday, though.

Does anybody know if the ph will continue to drop if I don't boil now? I'm off to search the Google-verse for information on this.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

AFAIK, most lacto has a PH limit that kicks in right around 3.2, so your probably not going to go much lower.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Thanks. I got other information that said it bottoms out at 3.1 +/- .1 so I'd say that's the same.

I decided to play it safe and make it a long night after meeting some neighbors for a burger and beer to watch some pre-season football.
I ended up pitching the yeast 15 minutes ago.