Recipe suggestions.

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Recipe suggestions.

Post by Banjo-guy »

I’m looking for some help inputting together a lager recipe. I’m going to brew a 3 gallon batch on my Mash and Boil. (biab). Here’s is what I have on hand. I didn’t list the American IPA,APA hops that I have.
( Cascade,Amarillo,Simco ect...)
HOPS:
2.10 oz EK Goldings‭
.70 oz Fuggles
2.00 oz Hallertau
1.00 oz Saaz
.65 oz Sorachi Ace
.45 oz Tettnang
.60.oz. UK WGV.
3.75 Willamette
GRAIN
10# MO
5# 2 row
10# Munich
3# Victory
3 # Rye
1.5 # Wheat
.5# carapils
Every sort of roasted and dark grain needed to brew stouts.
14 oz C120,
7 oz. C 80
7 oz C 60
Flaked oats and wheat

YEAST
34-70. Safale 23, Safale 33

Irish Ale yeast, Nottingham,

I’m hoping to brew a easy to drink summer lager. I could brew an ale if that is what these ingredients point to.
I’m trying to use the ingredients that I have because I have too many ingredients on hand and don’t really want to buy more right now.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I keep coming up with an Irish Red but my wife has shown a love for the German Pilsner that I brewed and I've got to keep her happy.
Last edited by Banjo-guy on Mon May 21, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Recipe suggestions.

Post by Kealia »

You could Brew the IPL that I've been doing for a few years now. I'll post the recipe here if you want to take a look.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If you want a lager, it seems easy...

2-row and a little bit of munich to get to ~1.045-1.05ish, the saaz/tettnang/and/or hallertau, the SafeLager S-23 or 34/70, to get to 30-40 IBUs and you have a nice European Lager. Finish it hoppy with the saaz and use soft water to be more like a bo-pils, finish it less hoppy with the smaller amount of tettnang or a little bit of hallertau and a bit harder water to be like a German lager. (some German water is actually quite hard, people go overboard sometimes trying to use soft water for all lagers, and that's not how it is in reality). Cant go wrong with either, it will be good.

S-23 will be a bit more flavorful then 34/70, and would be more interesting with less finishing hops then 34/70 would be. 34/70 would be better for a bo-pils, or anything, you can't go wrong with it. S-23 is good for a continental lager though too.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Kealia wrote:You could Brew the IPL that I've been doing for a few years now. I'll post the recipe here if you want to take a look.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thanks. I’d be interested in seeing it but I’m going to brew something that isn’t hoppy for the non hop lovers. I haven’t even tasted an IPL and don’t know if I like them or not. I’ll have buy a few to check out.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I agree with Mashani, looks like you’ve got all the ingredients for a fine German Pilsner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

How does this look? Should I add a little Munich? This is basically the Brewing Classic Styles recipe.
4# 2 row
1 # Pilsner
7.0 oz Carapils

.6 oz Hallertauer @ 60 minutes
.45oz Tettnang @ 30 minutes
.5 oz Saaz @ 10 minutes
.5 oz Saaz @ 0 minutes
Saflager S-23 @

OG 1.049. 40.8 IBU. ABV 4.6 %
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

That sounds like a nice European lager.

A little bit of Munich will give it a more malty nose. It doesn't "need" it, it would be good either way. You could go with 4oz Munich + 4oz Carapils if you do that, it should be fine that way.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Im playing with the water in Bru'n water.
Here is where I am now. Calcium 41. Magnesium 3. Sodium 7. Sulfate. 7. Chloride. 13

Lactic acid to bring the ph down
mash PH 5.28.

This is by diluting my Long Island water by 75% with distilled.

I increased the two row to a full 5 lbs. It puts me higher than the style for OG and ABV. I already crushed the grain.
Now the OG is 1.058 and abv of 5.5