Split batch suggestions?

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Split batch suggestions?

Post by MrBandGuy »

So, my wife quit her job back in December, which really affected our budget. Things are looking up, but cash is a bit tight right now. Since then, I've been trying to keep the beer flowing, but as cost efficient as possible. Brew days have been few and far between, but continuing nonetheless for the time being.

In this vein, I'm looking for ideas to split 10 gallon batches. My last batch, I doubled down on the same recipe with an English yeast for a bitter and a Belgian yeast for a blond. Bonus because the grain bill was small!

Any suggestions on other split batch/partner styles? I figured I can pretty much do anything with a Belgian yeast, but wondered if anyone had any suggestions of other combinations. I don't want to drink 10G of the same beer, and yeast variety adds just enough to produce a different result.

I'm thinking a saison/lager might work next. Any other successful combinations you could imagine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Split batch suggestions?

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

How about splitting a batch of Wheat beer. Ferment an American Wheat using S-05 and any of the 'C' hops. The other a German Wheat using WB-06 yeast and Perle, Hallertauer or even Northern Brewer hops? I've brewed both using Pilsner Malt and Torrified Wheat as the split batch. They are tasty and won't break the bank.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I have split several batches with different yeasts. I have also made a Belgian Pale and Dubbel from the same wort. The grist and hops are very close, the Dubbel got candi syrup in the fermenter, the Pale was dry hopped. You can also add a small boil of extract and hops to the fermenter increase gravity and IBUs, making anything into an IPA. Or steep roast grains or dark crystal to add color and flavor, making a red, or a red and a stout. Let us know what you do, split batches are fun.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

It's been a while since I've done a split batch, but between using different yeasts and/or a different hop to dry hop with (style allowing) you really have unlimited possibilities.
The last batch I recall splitting was a clone of Firestone Walker's Double Barrel Ale which was aged on oak cubes - ooh, there's another option, too. Toss some oak cubes/chips into half of the batch for something really different as well.

Cheers.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I usually use different yeasts and sometimes even different dry hops. I'm kegging 11 gallons this weekend and each has different yeast but that's it.
But, you can try things like adding fruit or oak chips too.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Lots of things you can do like everyone has said.

Stuff I've done like this would include:

Adding candi syrup to one fermenter can give you a Belgian single along with a dubbel or tripel from the same simple mostly pilsner grain bill. Or make a tripel and a dubbel by using different candi syrups in each fermenter. You can make a simple pale ale using S-05 in one half and Bella Saison in the other half, and end up with two radically different beers. Make a wheat beer, half with American wheat yeast and half with German wheat yeast, and also end up with beers that will be nothing alike. Toss some dark candi syrup into half a batch of wheat beer and end up with a strong "dunkle" like beer for the second half. (it's not Reinheitsgebot, but it's still tasty).
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Split batch suggestions?

Post by MrBandGuy »

I knew I wasn't reinventing the wheel here. Seems like Belgian/Saison or wheat (yeast dominant styles) with a clean yeast partner seems to be the prevailing pattern. I appreciate the combinations shared.

I've done oak aged, but usually not 5 gallons. More like 1-2 split off. Thanks for ideas, folks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk