Advice on a drill for my mill

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Advice on a drill for my mill

Post by bpgreen »

I think I may need to use a different drill for my Cereal Killer. I've got a cheap Skil that is probably at least 20 years old. I sometimes end up dumping grain out because it jams.

I've seen people recommending 1/2 inch drills from harbor freight.

They've got a heavy duty variable speed reversible drill with a 6.3 amp motor (0-1200 RPM) for $29.99 and they also list two hammer drills (both can be used as drill only) with a 7.5 amp motor (0-2800 amp motor). The hammer drills have a hammer drill and a drill only mode.

I'll never use the hammer drill mode, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to spend the extra $5 (actually, it would only be an extra $4, because I have a 20% off coupon) to get one of the ones with more power.

Has anybody used one of these?

What would you recommend?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Advice on a drill for my mill

Post by RickBeer »

I don't use a mill, but a few years back I upgraded my tools and bought a Milwaukee set. Best cordless tools for the non-builder (or even builder).

If you buy a power tool from Harbor Freight, make sure to use a Citi credit card if you have one for the extra 2 year warranty.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

I power my Cereal Killer with a Bosch PS31.
Using it bi-monthly since Spring '16.
No complaints.

2 speed reversible (0 - 350; 0 - 1,300)
Keyless chuck
Comes with charger and two batteries
Warranty: 3 yr. tool; 2 yr. battery

German engineering means it cost a bit more.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm not ignoring you. I don't crush my own grains, sorry.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I use my Ryobi 18v cordless drill on low speed setting. Nothing at all wrong with Harbor Freight for what it will be used for, just make sure you get low and hi on the speed, you want to run the Cereal killer at a lower speed something like 150-200 rpm.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I wound up buying a Chicago Electric heavy duty drill from Harbor Freight. Lower RPM, heavier duty, higher cost than the ones I was first looking at. It's one I've seen recommended on HBT a number of times (although to be honest, it could be the same guy recommending it multiple times).

I haven't had a lot of luck with cordless tools, but that may be due to the ones I've bought.

I did use a Citibank card when I bought it, but I've got tools that I bought from Harbor Freight almost 20 years ago that I still use, so I'm not too worried.

Post by 1919 »

I use a Black and Decker Firestorm. It has reverse and a clutch. Speed is controlled with the trigger. Sounds a little funny at low speed, but it does it.