Tafelbier Belgian Table Beer

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Tafelbier Belgian Table Beer

Post by John Sand »

I'm thinking of brewing one, using pilsner and Westmalle yeast. Any good recipes? Suggestions on specialty grain?
Thanks.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Re: Tafelbier Belgian Table Beer

Post by BlackDuck »

Mashani in 3...2...1...
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

The latest Brew Your Own magazine has an article on Belgians and this recipe in it. I was thinking of brewing it myself.

Tafelbier

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.024 FG = 1.007
IBU = 6 SRM = 10 ABV = 2.2%

Similar to Trappist single, Tafelbier is a low-gravity session style beer with a nice Belgian character in the background that is a great beer to drink on brew days when you need to keep your wits about you but would also like to have a few beers. It also has a quick turnaround, so it’s perfect for brewing when you need a beer for a fast-approaching event.

Ingredients
2 lbs. (0.91 kg) Pilsner malt
2.1 lbs. (0.95 kg) Abbey malt (26 °L)
0.6 lb. (0.27 kg) Belgian caramel Vienna malt (25 °L)
0.4 lb. (0.18 kg) torrified wheat
0.25 lb. (113 g) Belgian aromatic malt (19 °L)
1.9 AAU Saaz hops (60 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 3.75% alpha acids)
Wyeast 3787 (Trappist Style High Gravity) or White Labs WLP530 (Abbey Ale) or Lallemand Abbaye or Safbrew BE-256 yeast
3⁄4 cup corn sugar (if priming)

Step by Step
This is a multi-step mash. Mill the grains, then mix with 2 gallons (7.6 L) of 154 °F (72 °C) strike water to reach a mash temperature of 144 °F (66 °C). Hold this temperature for 30 minutes. Raise the mash temperature through infusion of boiling water or recirculating system up to 158 °F (70°C). Hold this temperature for 30 minutes.

Due to the very low enzymatic power of this mash, it is recommended to perform an iodine test to confirm starch conversion before beginning to lauter. If iodine test confirms conversion, then you can raise the mash up to mash out at 172 °F (78 °C). If iodine test is negative, continue to hold at 158 °F (70 °C) until iodine test is clear. Vorlauf until your runnings are clear, then begin sparge. Sparge about 2 gallons (7.6 L) of water then top off your kettle to 6.5 gallons (24.6 L).

Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops according to the ingredient list. After the boil, whirlpool for 5 minutes, then let settle for 5 minutes. Chill the wort to about 65 °F (18 °C) and then pitch yeast and aerate wort.

Once fermentation commences, allow beer to free rise up to 70 °F (21 °C). You can hold this temperature for ten days or until the completion of primary fermentation, whichever is later. Bottle or keg the beer and carbonate to approximately 2.3 volumes.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I tend to personally prefer simpler grain bills (just pilsner or just pilsner/wheat or pilsner/oats) for my singles when using Westmalle yeast. Because the Westmalle yeast makes wonderful sweet fruit esters that get lost under a more heavy grain bill. But those beers are also 4.5% or so ABV, not 2%, and at 2% they would be quite thin without the crystal malt in the recipe above.

So if you are really wanting a 2%ish beer, the above looks like a good place to start.

I can think of a couple variations to try too that would for sure turn out nice.

1) would be to try replacing the Torrified Wheat with some Simpsons Golden Naked Oats.
2) would be to keep the Torrified wheat, and replace the caravienna with Simpsons Golden Naked Oats.
3) would be to replace both with the Golden Naked Oats (IE go with 1# of the oats).

If I was going to guess, I think I'd like #2 and #3 best.

The Golden Naked Oats give a bit of oaty-grainy-sweetness and the body building of the crystal, and instead of a caramel flavor a kind of nutty and "hints of berry" flavor, and it works nicely with Westmalle yeast esters and should work really well with the Abbey (biscuit) malt. I don't think you will miss anything else the Caravienna adds since there is already the Abbey and Aromatic malt in the recipe.

And oats belong in old school Belgian table beers. Back when the monks were allowed to drink 7L a day during the Holy Roman Empire times, the 2-3%ish beer they made that everyone drank was most often going to be 50-60% oats, unless there was a glut of other ingredients available. The wheat would have been used for bread more often.

Oh and:
allow beer to free rise up to 70
That is Belgian beer for Americans. It is not Belgian beer for real.

Free rise should go to at least 74 (and I'd go to 78) with Westmalle yeast (3787) if you want to get the full ester profile. Which *is not going to be a bunch of banana*. It is apples, pears, light citrus, etc.

Now if you were using Chimay yeast (WLP500), then it's a different story and if you don't want (much) Banana and prefer more phenols, then the 70 would be ok.

That said, I personally don't like Chimay yeast in low ABV Belgians anywhere near as much as Westmalle yeast. I much prefer Westmalle yeast. Chimay yeast always seems too "heavy handed" in low abv beers to me. Westmalle makes a wider variety of more delicate esters and just works better for them IMHO.

I like Chimay yeast in 8%+ beers, especially ones with a lot of dark candy sugar or dark crystal malts because it helps "suppress the excess".

But I'd get it up to at least 74 in such a beer too.

As would all the actual Belgian breweries that use those yeasts.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks guys.
Jeff, I saw the BYO recipe, which started me thinking. I don't have any Abbey malt and don't want to order 2# for this brew. Have you ever used it?
Mash, I want to go a bit higher than 2%, maybe 4. I am thinking about oats or flaked barley for body.
I have melanoidin and aromatic malts, an assortment of others too. I don't want to get too complex either. I'm sure some discussion will help me create a good recipe.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The closest thing to Abbey Malt is Biscuit malt.

The aromatic/melanoidin are more or less interchangeable, but not like Biscuit malt.

If you have any Victory malt, that has some of the characteristics of Biscuit malt.

But you can't go wrong with just Pilsner and some Oats or Wheat or Flaked Barley, or a mix of all those things if your going to be closer to 4-5%.

Tripel Karmeliet if you've ever had it is a mix of Pilsner, Malted Oats, Malted Wheat, Flaked Barley, Flaked Wheat, and Flaked Oats and candi-sugar.

I've done a single based on a reduced triple Karmeliet grain bill multiple times now with good/tasty results.

I can't say enough good things about the Golden Naked Oats though. They are subtle and not in your face, but they add some really nice things to a beer like this and won't overpower the yeast esters like a caramel malt or a lot of aromatic types of malt might. They are well worth playing with.

EDIT: although I know you want to use 3787, I guess I will say for the sake of others that if I did go with WLP500 instead of 3787, then I might want all that complexity to mellow out the yeast. As I said I don't like WLP500 anywhere as much in a simple beer as 3787.
Last edited by mashani on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

edit: Somehow I double posted that... doh...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks. I have biscuit and victory. I'll read up on some of the other options. I have a recipe book in the mail too, though I don't know if it has table beer.
Never mind, there it is.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Hi Steve. Great reply, if a little cryptic.
What were you trying to post?
Never mind, there it is.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

John Sand wrote:Hi Steve. Great reply, if a little cryptic.
Maybe that Timmy's in the well again? :laugh
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

John Sand wrote:Hi Steve. Great reply, if a little cryptic.
Have no idea! I am as stumped as you! :( :huh: :razz:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
mashani
mashani