Bootleg Biology Lager Yeast thread

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Bootleg Biology Lager Yeast thread

Post by swenocha »

So temps got away from me on the low end... discovered this afternoon that my heat element doesn't seem to be working in the ferm chamber, so been at 45 degrees instead of 58. But... things are blooping along with a nice little krausen in both this yeast version as well as the hs2 version. Didn't expect that. Guess I'll see about fixing that soon but for now I'll let nature step it up over the next few days. Temps should cooperate nicely. Rdwhahb

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Any sulphor odor at that temp? I never got any at 55.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kegged this beer tonite. Oddly, the FG went up since last week when I dry hopped. I guess I could have made a mistake but even for me, it's too simple to mess up. Anyway, I like 6.5% a little better than 6.9% (as if that makes a difference).
It's got less of a lager taste than my last taste test. It's not a great beer but at this point, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. A fine beer but I would have liked it to have more roast to it. It comes out a bit while warm but I'm going to carb it and not wait to drink it but.......try and keep some for a month or longer so I can see what changes I notice.
If I'm being honest, this pretty much came out like the recipe I put together even with all the weirdness in it. I was afraid the subtle yeast would be too over loaded by the dark malts or I would have added more to give me the toasty/roasty flavors I personally like in a darker beer.
I would not have any problem using this yeast again.
To sum up: fermented a week at 55 then over 5 days ramped up to 64 and kept it there thru dry hopping then cold crashed at 34 for 2 1/2 days.
IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg (97.36 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Started to cold crash my Mexican Lager Friday night. Added 9 grams of lime zest and making margaritas with the now naked limes. ;)
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Mine both seem to have finished out (the Bootleg and the HS2 versions). The fermenting was done in the high 40's/low 50's. Not the original plans, but both yeasts seem to have worked like a champ. Haven't pulled anything for hydro test yet. To the question about sulfur smells... I didn't note any. Now to get the new Bootleg yeast and run the same recipe with it...

EDIT: Now I feel compelled to pull a hydro from both to test. Maybe will do after the Preds game... or maybe later in the week.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Took a sample of the IBL I made with this yeast to some friends last night who don't like lagers and made snarky comments previously when I told them what I was brewing and they were very pleased with it. They did say it was somewhat thin but it is. Maybe had I replaced the 3 1/2 lbs of pilsner malt with pale malt it would have seemed less thin but it is a lager and should be lighter, right?
Anyway, I'm glad I kept the recipe like I did even though I asked for comments in the Recipes section and got some, I opted to not follow anyone's advice. Hey, sometimes things just work out ok but it was really more of what I wanted out of the beer and this time, it appears, I got what I wanted out of it. Sometimes luck is all you need.

I expect this to improve a bit over the next month but I am very a happy with this yeast and will send Jeff at Bootleg Biology an email thanking him once again for sharing it with me.
Looking forward to hearing about the others who got this yeast think about it.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Beer-lord wrote:Took a sample of the IBL I made with this yeast to some friends last night who don't like lagers and made snarky comments previously when I told them what I was brewing and they were very pleased with it. They did say it was somewhat thin but it is. Maybe had I replaced the 3 1/2 lbs of pilsner malt with pale malt it would have seemed less thin but it is a lager and should be lighter, right?
Anyway, I'm glad I kept the recipe like I did even though I asked for comments in the Recipes section and got some, I opted to not follow anyone's advice. Hey, sometimes things just work out ok but it was really more of what I wanted out of the beer and this time, it appears, I got what I wanted out of it. Sometimes luck is all you need.

I expect this to improve a bit over the next month but I am very a happy with this yeast and will send Jeff at Bootleg Biology an email thanking him once again for sharing it with me.
Looking forward to hearing about the others who got this yeast think about it.
I don't think using pale instead of pilsen would make it any less thin. It would make it a little darker (not much), but I would think the body would stay about the same. If you want to add more body, you'd want to mash at a higher temperature or add some steeping grains that will contribute unfermentable sugars. Lighter in color doesn't really translate to lighter in body.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

You're probably right but I think it was the yeast that gave it that feeling. I can't say I get thinness from it but I did mash at between 150-152. I'm pleased with it and that's all that matters. :p
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Decided to pull a hydro on both of these. Both appear to be around 1.010, putting abv around 6.3%. The bootleg yeast version is clean and biscuity. The HS2 is all Belgian pale goodness. May have to bottle this week... starting a cold crash now.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I built starters for the dregs of the Brolosophy Blend, and the Bootleg Lager tonight. I plan to split a batch of lager between 34/70 and Bootleg. Probably not for weeks, but I'll have the yeast when I need it.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Finally bottled both beers today. Both taste fantastic. ImageImageImageImage

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I still have some of the India Black Lager left and took some to some friends last night and it just keeps getting better. I doubt I could brew this as well again but I hope to try it though it appears this yeast is hardly ever available. It somehow came out as one of the best beers I've brewed and I don't brew lagers. It's got everything we like in a beer and some of you know how hard I am on myself so if I say it's good, as uncomfy as it feels, I mean it.
I think I'll wait until later in the summer unless I get antsy but for those who've used this yeast, what do you think about it?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

My lager from this is one of my favorites I've done as well. Fortunately I have easy access when he releases it again, though I did keep the yeast from this brewday.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I think what I like about it is that it isn't overly lager like but just enough to work. I'm not sure I can explain it but I'm getting more of this yeast in the fall, that's for sure!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm considering using it again soon, in my Rye ESB.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.