Mash and Boil for 250.00

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Mash and Boil for 250.00

Post by berryman »

Something to check on the M&B and the first time I had a issue with it was I had the spigot trying to clog, not a big deal and took care of it fast. Had good numbers as always. 88% Pre-boil and 81.80% Ending kettle
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

berryman wrote:.....I had the spigot trying to clog, not a big deal and took care of it fast.....
On my 2nd brew I had the spigot clog. I used some wire to clear it. I'll keep some wire handy all the time.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

What clogged it? I haven't had this happen in 50+ batches and I throw all my hops in there commando even. (but not leaf hops).

EDIT: But with my slow chilling they all compact to the bottom along with any particulates overnight so I guess that helps.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote:What clogged it?
Not really sure, the last batch I did was a stout and almost no hops and I cleaned the unit out as I normally do after. I hooked up the hoses for the pump for mashing in on the next batch and couldn't get any flow, thought the pump took a crap and then seen almost nothing coming out of the spigot. Blew air back threw and was free flowing again. Worked good the rest of the day. Today I PBW'd it both ways and clean. Not sure what the restriction was, but all good now. It is not a very big spigot.
Edit: it wasn't totally plugged just couldn't get enough flow for the pump.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

So it's official, I had my first "Mash & Boil Over".

I was making a 6 gallon batch of the Dos Perros since I like it so much. And I walked away... and then... whoosh.

So that was fun.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote:So it's official, I had my first "Mash & Boil Over".
So that was fun.
I bet that was a "fun" clean-up.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The handle came off of my lid, so I sent an email to brewer's edge asking if replacement lids are available.

Turns out it's covered under warranty so I should be getting a new one for free soon.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That seems like an odd piece to come off. But, glad they are covering it for you.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Kealia wrote:That seems like an odd piece to come off. But, glad they are covering it for you.
In the email he sent, he said that the welds in the lid are covered. If it was welded, it wasn't done well. I actually thought it was just super glued and tried that, but it only stayed on for one use.

I also asked if the malt pipe is available because I dented mine. They're available from Williams Brewing, but it's $69.99. I'll live with the dent. But it's nice to know replacement parts are available.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Williams carries a bunch of things. Besides the basket, they have replacement thermal sensors, gaskets for the spigot, fermentation lid, #11 foam stoppers that fit the lid, still attachments that fit the fermentation lid, and more...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Since it seems to be hard to get Mash & Boils without pumps these days, and also since it's cheaper, this is now available for anyone who wants to take a stab at it. It is more or less a single wall (I assume) 1500 watt (100 less watts) 9 gallon (more capacity) mash & boil, for $229 with free shipping.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/digib ... -110v.html

If it is single walled, you might want to build yourself an insulating jacket from reflectix or such, but other then that I bet it works fine.

Oh and if you have 220V available then for just $10 more, you can get that, and 2400 watts of powa!

https://www.morebeer.com/products/digib ... -220v.html

There is also a 17 gallon 220V/3500 watt one for $329... which seems pretty cheap for a big unit. I wouldn't want to pull the mash basket out of that though, I'd need to build a hoist.
Last edited by mashani on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The first link didn't work for me, but I searched for electric kettle and found it. Ously, the url looked the same ad your link.

That looks pretty good. I sometimes wish the mash and boil had more capacity, but i do like the double wall. I wonder how much difference the lower wattage would make in the time it takes to come to a boil.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:The first link didn't work for me, but I searched for electric kettle and found it. Ously, the url looked the same ad your link.

That looks pretty good. I sometimes wish the mash and boil had more capacity, but i do like the double wall. I wonder how much difference the lower wattage would make in the time it takes to come to a boil.
I updated the link, it seems to work?

I don't think the 100 watt difference would be that huge. Not being insulated might actually matter more if your brewing in a cold place. But a little bit of reflectix wrap would easily fix that.

I actually have a 220 I could use, so that would be tempting for me actually if my Mash & Boil explodes and I turn it into a fermenter.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
bpgreen wrote:The first link didn't work for me, but I searched for electric kettle and found it. Ously, the url looked the same ad your link.

I updated the link, it seems to work?

I don't think the 100 watt difference would be that huge. Not being insulated might actually matter more if your brewing in a cold place. But a little bit of reflectix wrap would easily fix that.

I actually have a 220 I could use, so that would be tempting for me actually if my Mash & Boil explodes and I turn it into a fermenter.
I'm not planning on changing, either, but I think if I were, this would tempt me.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Hello Borg! I hope everyone is healthy and that we all get through this Covid madness intact.
My wife and I have been holed up in the house for 3 weeks now. I haven’t brewed in months but I’m going to dust off the M and B and brew a 5 gallon batch of Two Hearted Ale.
I also posted on the Facebook book page for advice about brewing a 5 gallon batch in the MB. I’m hoping you guys can see this old thread and give me some advice.
The grain bill is 13.5 lbs. Can I skip the sparge and do a full volume biab brew? I’ve never sparged in 6 years of brewing. I am a biab brewer.
I want to brew this tomorrow if possible.
I’m really out of shape with brewing because I’ve using the Zymatic prior to my break from brewing.
I have to figure out mash dough-in volume and temps and possible sparge water volume and treatment if I have to sparge.