2018 hop rhizome exchange

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

2018 hop rhizome exchange

Post by bpgreen »

I try to get a hop rhizome exchange going every year.

I have a number of hop plants and some of them produce rhizomes every year.

Others here may also be growing hops and have rhizomes to exchange.

If I give you a rhizome, it's yours. If it grows to a bine that matures and produces rhizomes of its own, those are yours. You can give them away, or sell them on eBay, or do whatever you want with them.

I live in Utah, so I can't accept the traditional thanks of a home brew (and labelling it a yeast sample won't fool anybody).

A couple of caveats:
  1. I give to people I know IRL first
  2. I give to people who have promised me rhizomes second
  3. I'm trying to build up a neo-mexicanus exchange; I'll trade my rhizomes for these
  4. There are no guarantees about the viability of any rhizome
I almost always get rhizomes from cascade and centennial. I may get rhizomes from nugget, perle, hallertauer.

If you want rhizomes, post here. If you have rhizomes, please also post here. I can't be the only now with rhizomes to spare.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: 2018 hop rhizome exchange

Post by bpgreen »

Well, that attempt at making a bulleted list really sucked.

What did I do wrong?
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Fixed it for you. You have to put a "1" or "A" right after the first list command. For example, it needs to look like
  1. . You forgot the "1", that's all. If you put a 1, the list will be numerical, if you put "a", the list will be alpha.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

BlackDuck wrote:Fixed it for you. You have to put a "1" or "A" right after the first list command. For example, it needs to look like
  1. . You forgot the "1", that's all. If you put a 1, the list will be numerical, if you put "a", the list will be alpha.
Thanks.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Mine are starting on the fourth year this spring and I should be able to dig and separate some this year. I have Cascade, Chinook, MT Hood, and Nugget. It would probably be mid April before I could dig them here in Western NY, but you never know around here and could be earlier. If anybody is interested, post on this thread and I will see what I can do.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

I have a well established cluster of Sterling growing in a less than ideal location such that ... while bine growth has been respectable ... cone production is anemic.

Post-paid via PayPal to a good home.
'Round here ... rhizomes should be dug before mid-March.

Message ... if interested.
Sadly ... no trades b/c no mo' room in the yard.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I'm on year 3 of a cascade (I think) start from bp. It's been solid! Do you have a link to what to look for for the rhizomes? I feel like I may have a few to dig up, with several offshoots last year several feet away, but don't want to mess up the main plant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

As being a grower of strawberries, raspberries, sweetcorn and many other crops, hops were new to me, but the second year I got 182 ozs around 11 lbs green weight on 8 bines dried down to 3 LBS. They are very easy to grow, and can do it in a backyard setting. I have mine on 18 ft. high wire with tall post in the ground, but can easy be done behind your house. If you get them late and plant late, probably wont get much the first year but can get them established. I plant strawberries and pick the blossoms the first year and then get a big crop the next year and more.
Last edited by berryman on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

MrBandGuy wrote:I'm on year 3 of a cascade (I think) start from bp. It's been solid! Do you have a link to what to look for for the rhizomes? I feel like I may have a few to dig up, with several offshoots last year several feet away, but don't want to mess up the main plant.
Maybe I should update my article on growing hops.

Hops have two main types of roots (there are other types if anybody wants to get into a deep discussion).

One type of root is a tap root. This goes straight down and allows a hop bine to live with very little irrigation water once it's established.

The other type is a rhizome. Rhizomes spread horizontally from the "mother" plant and create new plants. All of the new plants are exact clones of the mother plant. Many grass species (including Kentucky Bluegrass) spread this way (some grasses spread via above ground stolons, and some only spread slowly via tillers).

If you have a plant shoot up out of the ground that is more than a few inches from the crown of the main plant, it's coming up from a rhizome. If you stick a shovel in the ground between the main plant and the new one, you'll cut the rhizome (they're usually only a few inches below the surface).

If you've got plants shooting up several feet away, you've definitely got rhizomes.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

berryman wrote:As being a grower of strawberries, raspberries, sweetcorn and many other crops, hops were new to me, but the second year I got 40 lbs green weight on 8 bines. They are very easy to grow, and can do it in a backyard setting. I have mine on 18 ft. high wire with tall post in the ground, but can easy be done behind your house. If you get them late and plant late, probably wont get much the first year but can get them established. I plant strawberries and pick the blossoms the first year and then get a big crop the next year and more.
40 lbs from 8 bines? 5 lbs/bine. Wow. I don't get nearly that much. But I'm also in a desert.

But you're right. They're very easy to grow. I live in a desert and if I ignore them, I still get an average of about a half pound dried hops per bine.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

So far, it looks like we have all offers and no requests.

Here are the offers have so far:
Cascade me, berryman, mrbandguy
Centennial me
Nugget me, berryman
Perle me
Hallertauer me
Chinook berryman
Mt Hood berryman
Sterling Herb

Hops are really easy to grow. If you brew a limited variety of styles, you may even be able to grow all the hops you need (I could probably get by with nugget and cascade, but I like to experiment too much).
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

bpgreen wrote: 40 lbs from 8 bines? 5 lbs/bine. Wow. I don't get nearly that much. But I'm also in a desert.

I edited my post above, I don't want anyone to think I am telling fishing stories, it was a combination of too many projects going on in my mind, posting before checking back in my book, old age and too many 11% Drunken Farmer beers.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

I would sure like to grown hops, but have nothing in return to trade, but maybe a few shillings. I don’t even know what varieties I want, or what each variety is good for. I have a goal to brew all-grain beers once I master the extracts. I’m eventually wanting to hover around wheat beers and toy with flavors in that style. I live in northern MO on hilly ground. Can you tell me which varieties of hops I should look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Hayzer wrote:I would sure like to grown hops, but have nothing in return to trade, but maybe a few shillings. I don’t even know what varieties I want, or what each variety is good for. I have a goal to brew all-grain beers once I master the extracts. I’m eventually wanting to hover around wheat beers and toy with flavors in that style. I live in northern MO on hilly ground. Can you tell me which varieties of hops I should look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is a chart and many others on the web https://ychhops.com/varieties
I can't tell you what would grow good in your area because IDK. Nugget goes crazy here and Chinook is close behind, Cascades are doing really good now too, but the MT Hood not very good and might take them out and replace. If I send out some rhizomes, I want nothing in return unless I can try something that grows better around here then Mt Hood.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Hops in my area don't do well. I have not had much survive here, some nugget and I think centennial I received a while back from bp. I'm hoping this year they will give me enough to do up a batch.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!