Check it out... Mini Fast Ferment

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Check it out... Mini Fast Ferment

Post by mashani »

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Check it out... Mini Fast Ferment

Post by John Sand »

I'm tempted by fancy fermenters.
But I love that the buckets are cheap and economical of space.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

John Sand wrote:I'm tempted by fancy fermenters.
But I love that the buckets are cheap and economical of space.
The reason I like the Mini Cooper fermenters I have now more then the LBKs or LBCs, is that they are like 4 gallon buckets (as far as headspace, but you can only ferment 3 gallons of wort or it will leak out), but without any 90 degree corners - no sharp corners at all, the bottoms is completely smooth and curved. But they have a big bucket like opening, and yes, take up little space.

That's important to me because I have messed up hands, so sharp corners are hard for me to really get clean if I need too get in there and scrub.

Plus I can be a perve and watch the yeast flocculate.

These things would take up more room but then they have the yeast dump, so that's kind of cool. But not so good for perving, and the opening isn't as big as I'd like. But no sharp corners it seems. I'm not sure how narrow the bottom really is, if it's too narrow then my hands would not like that either though if I had to scrub it.

But if I was going to brew things that would actually require a long time in a "secondary" I might get one of these to avoid having to mess with it. Just dump the yeast and then leave it alone. My current fermenters would be useless as secondary's since they don't fully seal. I don't care, I like to semi-open ferment, but if I was secondarying I would care. And I don't want anything glass. Ever. Again.

And if you like something that looks like Aliens built it, then you got that too with one of these. That has to count for something?
untitled.png
untitled.png (209.01 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

It definitely has the mad scientist factor going. I like some style in my brewing.
We should invent a fermenter with vapor pouring onto the floor, electric arcs, and a hunchback assistant. (Or Terri Gar)
And sell it for $213,000,000,000.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

The biggest issue I see (along with the original size) is the lack of ability to temp control. You'd have to have a bigger ferment chamber/fridge for this thing. Or invest in some type of wrap to do it.

That's likely not an issue for some, but for me that's a deal breaker (aside from the fact that I don't do smaller batches anymore). But for a beginner to upgrade from the LBK/LBC or for somebody that doesn't need/want temp control I love the fact that is has the yeast dump. While I do wish my SS Brewbucket had that, it wasn't a deal breaker with the other nice features/size it has.

I do like the fact that more options are being made available for smaller batches.