Can it at home

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can it at home

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I found this article today on BeerAdvocate about canning your own beer at home. There wasn't a lot of info about the machine that the author used so I did some digging and found a video on it and an Amazon link where you can buy it for about $600. Still a little pricy but how cool would it be to be able to can your own beer?

Article - https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/1 ... e-canning/

Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/All-American-Mas ... ACXABFBRYS

Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Can it at home

Post by FedoraDave »

Depending on a home-brewer's wants and needs, this could be money well spent. Campers, hunters, fisherpeople, and people who do a lot of traveling would definitely find this preferable to bottling or kegging.

Me, I can't see too much of an advantage for myself. I've got my keezer (and growler fillers for those times when I want to bring beer to a cookout or a holiday party), and I still bottle some of my 2.5g batches, and they travel well to the spots I travel i.e. across town to my mom's house.

Brewer's choice, of course. But these are probably going to catch on with a lot of people. I understand they work very well. And it would definitely be cooler than a snowdrift in Saskatoon to bring your home-brew in cans on a fishing trip or a weekend in the woods.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

But, how much do the empty cans cost? I guess another question would be can you "de-can" (remove the lid) and then just replace the lid and re-use the rest of the can?

Can't seem to find much info.

EDIT: ok, I found cans, seems about 50 cents per can w/lid.

That adds $24 bucks to the cost per 5 gallon batch of beer if you canned all of it. That adds up to the price of kegs or reusable bottles pretty fast. In fact that's about how much I paid for my 740ml O2 barrier PETs on sale, and they last for dozens of batches. So I can give away my PETs and it doesn't cost me more... I guess you can't crush them under your boot in a satisfying manner while out in the woods, but you could fill them back up with water and then shoot at them instead if your into that...

I guess if you just wanted to can a few here and there it could be useful but I'm not sure I'd want to add that much to every batch cost.
Last edited by mashani on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Like Mashani said...seems a bit cost prohibitive. BUT....it is pretty cool!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Getting cheaper.........I love this. I keep hoping that a local mobile canning service around me does a "homebrew" day because I would love to have my own beer in cans. Just because.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

BlackDuck wrote:Like Mashani said...seems a bit cost prohibitive. BUT....it is pretty cool!!!
I agree Chris but I like that the cost is coming down and may actually be a viable option for homebrewers at some point. Also I could see a small brew pub getting one of these and offering 16, 32, and 64 oz cans of brew instead or growlers. This would be a cheap way for them to get into it as opposed to some of the more expensive options.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

LouieMacGoo wrote:
BlackDuck wrote:Like Mashani said...seems a bit cost prohibitive. BUT....it is pretty cool!!!
I agree Chris but I like that the cost is coming down and may actually be a viable option for homebrewers at some point. Also I could see a small brew pub getting one of these and offering 16, 32, and 64 oz cans of brew instead or growlers. This would be a cheap way for them to get into it as opposed to some of the more expensive options.
I'm thinking a good way for this to happen for home brewers is that a home brew club like yours pools some funds and buys the canner, and then folks can share it and pay for the cans they use.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

One of the brewtubers I follow bought one when he was at a homebrew festival earlier this year. He got it because he wanted to see if his club would share it but many of the guys weren't interested in canning. They make both the manual and automated versions and I think it's cool that we continue to have new options available to us.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

I have a few friends that would be willing to share the cost to do this if it were $600. (We like gadgets)

Please correct me if I am wrong but the amazon link appears to be a different can sealer than the one in the video.

The model 225 in the video only seals 12oz cans and is $1489

https://wellscan.ca/product/aa-225a-hom ... ng-sealer/

They have a new model that seals 12 + 16oz cans that is over 1600 bucks

https://wellscan.ca/product/all-america ... ng-sealer/

I hope I am wrong because 4 of us would kick in 150 each for a $600 unit but $1600 is out of our league.

Side note - my wife has been buying wine in small cans. I would assume one could can wine just like you would beer with this contraption.
Thirsting For Knowledge
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

LouieMacGoo wrote:
I've seen bars where they fill crowlers (a portmanteau of can+growler). So that's already happening.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Its always exciting go see new products available to us. I wouldnt be interested in canning at this time over bottling a batch of beer but still nice to see tbe possibilities.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Cool. Always good to know what's out there.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

bpgreen wrote:
I've seen bars where they fill crowlers (a portmanteau of can+growler). So that's already happening.
One of our beer distributors started filling crowlers and now have a page on their website with what's on tap

http://jrsbeer.com/crowlers/

I think these canning machines are soooo cool.
Thirsting For Knowledge
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

We have several local places getting into crowlers. The sharing idea is where my mind went too. That, and canning wort for starters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

A proper process to ensure that the beer lasts in the can is to purge the can with CO2, fill it to the brim (no foam), and seal it. A proper Crowler system does this. Just putting carbonated beer in a can won't make it last very long.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)