MACC IPA

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

MACC IPA

Post by Beer-lord »

I've made lots of pales lately and kept it to only 5.5% for the summer but football is here and sometimes when you follow a loser, you need to be numb. So, I uped the ABV factor just a nudge on this beer.
This recipe comes from a Brulosophy member and I've read and heard lots about it on podcasts. Not too bitter but lots of flavor and aroma. I fear Honey Malt in these quantities but I can't complain until I taste what this is about.
I didn't have Magnum so I used Warrior and I opted for White Labs yeast vault Hanson yeast in place of 001 because I have it and like it.
Finished at 1.063 but I had almost 1/2 gallon extra into the fermenter so my loss to hops won't be so bad.
And this shows 99 IBU's but it's more like 81 since I didn't adjust the actual alpha amounts of my hops in this recipe because I am lazy.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: MACC IPA
Brewer: Paul
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.81 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 99.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 6.4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
2 lbs 2.2 oz Borlander Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM Grain 2 15.0 %
11.4 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
0.75 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 26.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 10.8 IBUs
2.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 6 20.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 7 16.5 IBUs
1.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 8 11.2 IBUs
1.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 9 13.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 10 -
1.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 4.0 oz
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: MACC IPA

Post by mashani »

Since that honey malt is replacing any other type of crystal it's probably going to be ok.

It's just going to make the juicy hops seem more juicy I think.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

You'll know in a few weeks. I just hope it doesn't put out any cloying tastes. I've used Honey Malt many times but in very small amounts. Did a collab years ago on a Dallas Deep Ellum IPA and it was very good. Might even do that one again.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I kegged this today and the aroma from the fermenter was awesome! The taste test was good but I'm thinking that with my water and ingredients, putting the ph in the 5.3 range is not doing my beers justice. The next few beers that I brew that are IPA's or pales are going to stay in the 5.4-5.45 range. That's the way I like them based on the beers I brewed last year.
This one is good as of now and there's nothing wrong with it but its not stellar. So, since I usually plan 3-5 brews ahead (can you say OCD?) when I rebrew, I'll update the water adjustments and see how it works out.
However, as of today's test, this would make a great, house IPA. IPA lovers that like their beers not bitter but flavorful, should give this one a try!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:I'm thinking that with my water and ingredients, putting the ph in the 5.3 range is not doing my beers justice. The next few beers that I brew that are IPA's or pales are going to stay in the 5.4-5.45 range. That's the way I like them based on the beers I brewed last year.
Just curious what has been some differences you have noticed?
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

A tad bit of a mineral type taste. I think my original problem with my metallic taste was a bad ph meter that showed much higher numbers. Got a new meter (better one as well) and it made a big difference in this beer. I had tried everything I could think of and it was the meter!
I can say that the lower ph does do wonders for aroma. But when I first went to RO water, my beers were in the mid 5.4 range and I to my taste buds, that gave me a more balanced flavor.

The only other thing I can think of is that all the beers I've been talking about lately are from the same 55 lb bag of grain. Grain I've used many times before. Perhaps this one was different??????? I've read a few things in my search and some have suggested that's a place to look.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Ahh, I see so your problematic batches actually had much lower mash ph's than the meter was indicating?

I have also heard a lot about 5.4 being a good target for hoppy beers. Podcasts I have listened to with Brewmasters from Lagunitas and Firestone Walker both have indicated a target of 5.4 for beers. I believe Lagunitas IPA and Firestone Walker Union Jack were the IPA's they were discussing.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Re-brewed this again today hopefully without the metallic part of it. Man, lots of hop junk transferring to the fermenter. 12.25 oz total hops including dry hops. Most late additions. What's not to like?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:Re-brewed this again today hopefully without the metallic part of it. Man, lots of hop junk transferring to the fermenter. 12.25 oz total hops including dry hops. Most late additions. What's not to like?
Seems likey.

But if you brewed this originally because you think you follow a looser, then how much of it do Dawg and I need to drink?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

mashani wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:Re-brewed this again today hopefully without the metallic part of it. Man, lots of hop junk transferring to the fermenter. 12.25 oz total hops including dry hops. Most late additions. What's not to like?
Seems likey.

But if you brewed this originally because you think you follow a looser, then how much of it do Dawg and I need to drink?
If it tastes of metal again, you have to drink all of it. :jumpy:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black