Slutty Queen (Easy Jack clone)

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Slutty Queen (Easy Jack clone)

Post by Kealia »

This post may be a little long so I'll put the actual recipe in the next post. If you want to skip the how/why you can just jump ahead there.

A few weeks ago, BlackDuck and I decided to brew a collaboration pale ale since we both really like the style and have shared beers in the past. We began by kicking around ideas for a California/Ohio combination, trying to incorporate ingredients that represent both of our locations. We also decided early on that we wanted to use Mandarina Bavaria hops in this brew. Some emails were traded, thoughts shared and we started to kick around a recipe and then.....

I attended my local beer fest, sampling many a beer and just generally having a good time. Firestone Walker had a booth there and I chatted up the rep pouring for them. They were pouring a number of beers including 805, Union Jack, Luponic Distortion and their latest release of Leo v, Ursus (a chronology of beers that shift stylistically with each limited quarterly release). I took a liking to the Luponic Distortion tap handle that they were pouring from and inquired about what it would take to get my hands on it. The rep noted that it wasn't out of the question to obtain it, but to find him at the end of the day. So I did. To keep the story moving I will summarize here, that I ended up going home with the tap handle, a can or two of Leo v Ursus (that I hadn't been able to find yet) and his card - he was the Regional Sales Rep for the area.

The next day I took a picture of the tap handle on my keg and a picture of my beer fridge showing all the FW beer I had in it - just so he would know it went to a good home.

After exchanging a few emails, he generally said, "If there is anything I can ever do for you let me know". I took that at face value and replied with, "I know you're not on the brewing team, but do you happen to know if a recipe for Easy Jack (session IPA) has ever been released?"
Within the hour, he had forwarded my email with a note to Matt Brynildson - head brewer @ FW. He forwarded me the email back that had a home brew version attached - directly from Matt himself! :banana:

Looking at the recipe, and loving this beer, I was pretty excited. I became more excited when I remembered, and then saw, that it included Mandarina Bavaria so it would fit perfectly with the ideas that BlackDuck and I wanted to use in our brew. A session IPA is close enough to a pale ale so we decided to move forward with this beer. We made a few minor tweaks and had to make some assumptions since the recipe wasn't detailed to provide exactly the amount of hops to use at which intervals, but it gave us enough of an idea to come up with something that we think is going to be tasty as hell.

Neither of us were planning to brew it for a while but my schedule opened up this weekend and I was able to brew it yesterday. This was the first time I used a step mash and the first time I used my new refractometer and things went very smoothly. Target OG was 1.047 and my hydro sample (used to confirm readings of my refractomoeter since it was the virgin voyage for that) came it at 1.053, but I was a bit low on volume. I quickly used the Beersmith tools to determine how much water I could add to dillute to my target 1.047 and I ended up with 5.5G in the fermentor, spot on the recipe's gravity.

This morning, it is bubbling away happily and I'll be checking gravity on Friday to add the dry hops. Sometimes, things work in yoru favor and this was one of those times. I feel like the stars aligned to allow us to get a recipe and brew this up, so I'm excited to see how it comes out in a few weeks when it is time to drink it.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Slutty Queen (Easy Jack clone)

Post by Kealia »

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.2 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 74.0 %
11.3 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.0 %
11.3 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 7.0 %
9.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7 6.0 %
9.7 oz Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 8 6.0 %
0.25 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 10.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 5.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30 Hop 13 11.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Huell Melon [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 14 4.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 15 3.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 16 4.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30 Hop 17 4.1 IBUs
2.0 pkg London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) [35.49 ml] Yeast 18 -
3.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Huell Melon [7.20 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 21 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 2.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperatur Step Time
Mash In Add 12.91 qt of water at 157.6 F 145.4 F 30 min
Mash Step Add 4.00 qt of water at 185.8 F 154.0 F 0 min

------
Mash @ 145 for 30 minutes.
Raise to 154 for 30 minutes.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Wow, thats a hell of a story and an awesome score. Those are the kind of reps that it is nice to see at things like that. Usually, it's volunteers or just ordinary Bob paid to pour samples and have zero ties to the beers (most of the time anyway).

Recipe sounds good too. It's nice when things work out as you intended. I'm just curious, your top off water was it pre-boiled or right out of the tap?
Brew Strong My Friends...
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Looks good Kealia...I plan to brew mine the weekend of the 19th.

Nice job on the first attempt at the step mash. I haven't decided if I'm gonna use the step mash or the single infusion. Also, did you add clarity ferm to this? I know it was part of the conversation but didn't see it in the recipe. And what was your water profile? Shoot me the numbers from EZWater if you did that.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

MadBrewer wrote: I'm just curious, your top off water was it pre-boiled or right out of the tap?
It's the same water I brew with which is bottled water from our local shop. It's basically RO water that runs through their treatment system and gets put into 5G bottles (similar to an Alhambra, etc.).
It is stripped of everything and basically has 0 additions so I build it up with brewing salts, gypsum and calcium chloride when I use it to brew. Since the 5G jugs are sanitized before filling, I just sanitize a large measuring cup/bowl, pour the water into that and then dump in the fermentor.

So the short answer is, "no it isn't boiled" but I don't worry about it either.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

BlackDuck wrote:Also, did you add clarity ferm to this? I know it was part of the conversation but didn't see it in the recipe. And what was your water profile? Shoot me the numbers from EZWater if you did that.
I did use Whirfloc and ClarityFerm because (as Chris knows) the brewer did mention filtering the beer. Not having a filter, I opted for ClarityFerm (or could have used gelatin, too).
When posting recipes, I tend to strip out that "extra" stuff - but for no good reason really.....

Yeah, I will shoot you the EZ Water spreadsheet.
And maybe I will start a thread here about the step mash. Like anything else we've ever done, it was intimidating at first but turned out to be really simple. Remember your first mash, first cold crash, first bottling, etc. - same thing.

I actually need to go read up on WHAT happens mashing at 145 so I know WHY he/I did this. I was planning to do that research before I brewed but this happened so quickly I didn't have time. I did it because Matt @ FW said to but I don't typically do stuff without knowing why.

This was the exception (for now).
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Clarity Ferm also makes it pretty much glutten free.
Did their recipe call for a step mash or did you just decide to try it out?

This looks like fun and to make friends with FW is awesome. Could you contact your friend and ask him 2 things? First, when will they ship to NOLA and last, can he get me some Parabola?
With friends like him, you may be going places!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Awesome story and collaboration!! Looking forward to the follow ups. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Wow that sample looks clear enough to be the FG sample.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

What a great story! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

You are welcome. I'll caveat this again - we made some assumptions and additions here so until I taste it I can't tell you if we are even close - although I think it should be.

I'll keep this updated. Hopefully, this recipe turns out to be like the Fresh Squeezed recipe that gets brewed by multiple people here.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I dry hopped last Friday and started my cold crash today. I tend to follow a schedule that drops 5 degrees in the morning and another 5 at night (allowing my chest freezer and STC-1000 to control things) for the next few days until I get down close to 36. I plan on kegging on Saturday and putting it on the gas right away. I've never quick-carbed, but I may try this time around.....we'll see.
I'm anxious but don't want to rush, either.
I actually ended up adding an additional 1/2oz of the Huell Melon because it would have been left over and I didn't see me using it anytime soon.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Another 1/2 ounce of Huell Melon you say...I'll have to make a note on that. May I suggest not quick carbing this one. Don't want to give it any excuses to be off!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, I think you are right. I'll find something else to drink. I have a keg of Simcoe pale ale I can use to hold me over.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've not done many quick carbs but am not afraid of the dreaded, carbonic bite. However, 1 day at 20 then down to serving PSI for a few days is very safe. I feel those that hit it with 30-35 psi the first day are asking for trouble and I may have gotten some trouble.
But, I find my beers a bit green when I rush it anyway and the 7 days to first enjoyment is worth it. I sometimes also put a bit in a plastic bottle and use a carb cap and quickly carb it to see how things taste and while it can definitely tell you if there are off tastes, it just isn't as good as waiting.
I've saved this recipe after the 2 of you guinea pigs share your thoughts then I'll brew it and likely mess it up.
Carry on!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black