In Memory jimjohnson--Brewer Of The Month March 2017

The information and announcements you need to know about the BeerBorg community.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

In Memory jimjohnson--Brewer Of The Month March 2017

Post by The_Professor »

IN MEMORY jimjohnson MARCH 2017 BREWER OF THE MONTH!

As everyone, I was sorry to hear the news about Jim.

As per the nomination thread Jim is posthumously the BOTM this month with no votes cast.

In lieu of the normal interview questions I would ask that instead members post any words they would like to about jimjohnson.

As I mentioned before in another post, Jim and I brewed an RCE together. I do not know Jim from way back like some of you. Of course the link is only to the forum thread about the RCE. Jim and I PMed back and forth while working on the brew as well. We even texted back and forth on brew day. Jim was a great guy to plan and brew with. I did not realize there were any issues this serious when I was brewing with him. We will miss him.

I have a bottle of the RCE brew in the back of my fridge. I'll open it up this weekend and review this thread.
Last edited by The_Professor on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: In Memory jimjohnson--Brewer Of The Month March 2017

Post by bpgreen »

I never met him, but I remember him as a regular poster here and he seemed like a good guy.

Edited to fix autocorrect nonsense.
Last edited by bpgreen on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

JJ BOTM.jpeg
JJ BOTM.jpeg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 12263 times
Jim's Signature
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
:flag:
:borg:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Even though I never met JJ in person, I considered him a very good friend. I first met him on the MB forum when he joined, and then a lot of us came here and JJ was here when I came, but as Rick stated in another post Jim would still go back because he liked to help new brewers. We PM'd back and forth a lot here, and he was big on the tap room and we talked many nights into the wee hours. Then I got a friend request on FB and it was JJ, then we had lot's of fun, talked beer, politics, jokes and whatever, we had the same kind of thoughts and hit it off good. I had a big plan and I told him this..........the next time I go down south, I was going to stop in at the LHBS he was working at and give him all kinds of $hit and he wouldn't recognize me then I would tell him who I was. Sorry to say that didn't happen. A good person, A Vet, loved his kids and grandkids, loved making and drinking beer and helping others to make good beer..
:clink: RIP my good friend JJ Jim Johnson :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm not sure what my first contact with Jim was but I do know that his posts were always helpful and he was friendly. Then, when we decided to have a small meet up in Nashville 3 years ago, Jim said he'd drive up to meet us. He drove to Nashville, leaving very early in the morning to meet us at the house we had rented. He brought his wife but as we met him outside, he was taking beer out of his car that he had brought for us.
And, I remember him having different 6 packs for us to take home but, he had given us some of the same beer but also different beer based on what we liked. He took the time to consider what kind of beer each of us liked and fixed a special 'to go' pack for each of us.
And, he came out of his way just to meet us for part of one day. He left in the early afternoon and texted one of us when he got back home. To take the time, go out of his way both in travel and gift beer was just a small part of what Jim was. You don't get any more down to earth than Jim. He wore his kindness in his smile. He loved his family and his country and Jim was never 'on the fence'. You knew exactly where Jim stood.
I bet Jim had tons of friends at home. Godspeed Jim.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I remember that weekend just like you do Paul. And I really can't add anything that you haven't already said. I consider myself a lucky man to have met him and become friends with him. He will surely be missed around here!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

This is very perfect way to send JJ off to the GREAT BREWERY IN THE SKY.

I too have those very same memories of Jim in Nashville. And they are now considered SPECIAL memories.

Well earned, Jim. RIP.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I never met him in person, but I knew him from the MB forum, and this one.

He was a good guy, and always helpful. It seemed to me, also, that he took extra care to post a lot of welcomes in the Assimilation forum for new members, telling them he was glad they found us, and encouraging them to stick around, ask questions, and peruse all the forums.

This is a fitting tribute to a man who embodied the Spirit of the Borg.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

My heart goes out to his family. Very nice tribute. The Borg is full of classy good hearted People. Glad to be a member here!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I never met Jim in person, but we had many discussions on the old MB forum, as well as here, and chatted/PM'd sometimes. He is for sure someone I would have liked to have meet in person and shared a bunch of homebrews with. I'm sad that he is no longer with us.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I first met Jim on the old MrBeer forum. With me living just East of Atlanta and him living 2 hours south in Columbus we kinda made a connection. Many a PM were sent back and fourth between us about.......well.....everything serious and nothing serious, sometimes all at once.

The first time I met Jim was in Asheville. As Paul has already said, the attention to detail for each person he was giving beer too was above and beyond anything I've seen before and since. As everyone will remember, every beer was in a Model bottle. They are shorter and thicker than normal 12oz bottles. Jim said he liked them because they fit his hand better and what a hand it was. Like him it was large, firm, but gentle as needed.
His grandkids, unless you had time to spare don't bring up his grandkids. Heck, it wouldn't matter cause he would bring them up. They held a very special place in his heart.

The last time I saw Jim was on February 27th 2016. I know this date as it is in my brew notes. Jim had kinda taken over his LHBS due to it's owner falling ill. He had not planned on it, but that was Jim, he was always there to help no matter what. He wanted to teach a brewing class and show different ways to brew. He contacted me and ask if I would come down and brew BIAB so others could see another brewing style. He ask if I would brew his Middletown Pale Ale recipe as he wanted to show the same beer brewed different ways and plans were made.
I almost didn't go down and brew with him that Saturday as I'd been sick. In fact Jody ask me to stay home. But I'd made a promise to a friend and I'm glad I kept it. I felt like hell, but the weather was fantastic and seeing Jim's enthusiasm for brewing and just making anyone who came by feel welcome made it worth it. He had 2 cases of his Middletown Pale Ale in his signature Model bottles and passed them out to all that stopped by with specific instructions of when they should be enjoyed. Jim was a stickler for exact timelines, part of his military background.
Brew day over and wort in tow I shook Jim's big hand and gave a hug. We both said "Till we meet again" and back home I went.

This is Jim's House Pale Ale recipe as given to me by him. The ABV, IBU's and color are correct, the amounts are for my system set up.

Recipe: Middletown Pale Ale
Brewer: Naked Cat Brewery
Asst Brewer: Jim Johnson
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.54 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.29 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 69.6 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 4 8.7 %
1 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 8.7 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.3 %
0.75 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 27.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 6.3 IBUs
1.20 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
0.50 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 37.54 qt of water at 157.9 F 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Till we meet again my friend.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Well, that Pale Ale looks good. I have Cluster on hand too.
I never "met" Jim in life, just on the net. We PM'd about politics, music and sailing. I sent him a cookbook. I remember his efforts to protect and care for his daughter and grandchildren.
He was a good man.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Thank-you for the recipe. I never had the pleasure of meeting JJ in person but felt like I knew him well. We spent many nights chatting about brewing/old music videos/family/military/guitars and about anything that struck the moment. I miss those late night chats we had. I had planned on dropping by some time on one of our trips to FL but now it will never happen. I'll always consider him a brother I never met (in person).
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

I've been away from the Borg for a bit, and this is very sad news to return and see. But BOTM is a very fitting tribute.
The picture of Jim enjoying the company of his grandkids in the other thread is one I'd seen before and made an impression on me then, and it brought a tear to the eye to see it in this new context. My heart goes out to his family.
Godspeed, JJ.
:(
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

LouieMacGoo wrote:
JJ BOTM.jpeg
Jim's Signature
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
:flag:
:borg:
I read A Tale of Two Cities in 9th grade, it was Summer reading, prep for starting in the new school after Labor Day. The Cask of the Amontillado too. Funny how so many years later those memories remain vivid.

I was surprised, and pleased, to meet Jim on FaceBook too. I remember Jim posting on 'the forum', wish I had known him better.

I think Jim may have owned a craft beer store? Anyhow, in my eyes Jim seemed like a gentle soul with a good heart. Here's to you Jim[emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'