Lager Method Question

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Lager Method Question

Post by John Sand »

Time, gravity or taste?
I'm fermenting my first lager, a version of Brooklyn Lager's recipe. Many of the methods I've read use gravity to determine when to raise the temp for a diacetyl rest, some just use time. When making ales, I don't test my gravity until packaging. If it is where I expect then, I bottle or keg. I generally ferment three weeks, or at least until the beer clears. With the current lager, I started at 55 degrees using 34/70. It started bubbling the same day, and I went away for five days. When I returned, it had stopped bubbling, so I slowly raised the temp to 68. That's been near a week, I think it's ready to cool off again. Some suggest tasting for diacetyl first. What do you do?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Lager Method Question

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Without definitive proof, that there is a single best way to a diacetyl rest, some say to ramp the temperature up once fermentation is 75% complete. Personally after a week of fermentation for ales, increasing the temperature half a degree a day for the next 7 days seems to work very well. The beers are well attenuated and no one has ever tasted diacetyl in them, or any other off flavors.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I have a hard time believing that as long as you pitched enough yeast, that you would have any noticeable diacetyl at this point based on what you described.

When I ferment lagers around 57 in the winter, I don't even bother with a rest, I just let it go for 3 weeks and I have no diacetyl.

I think its a bigger issue for folks who push low 50s/upper 40s.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Mash. I pitched 20g of re-hydrated 34/70. I think I'll start cooling it back off.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.