Dortmunder Export Hops

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Dortmunder Export Hops

Post by John Sand »

I'm planning my first lager for tomorrow. Right now I am thinking of the Dortmunder Export from BCS, though I am open to suggestions. The recipe is 8.5#pilsner, 4#munich, 2oz melanoidin, hallertau for all hops. I have a little mittelfruh, which I thought I would use for flavor and aroma. For bittering I have cluster, perle, aramis or a bunch of American hops. What would you do?
I also love some modern craft lagers, I could be swayed.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Dortmunder Export Hops

Post by John Sand »

Okay, I found a recipe for Brooklyn Lager, and I didn't find any examples of Dortmunder to taste. So now I'm looking to sub some other hops. Brooklyn calls for Willamette, Vanguard and Saphir, of which I have none. I have Fuggles for the Willamette, and Mittelfruh for the Saphir.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Aramis would be good in one of those I think, but you would need to be careful to avoid over bittering it if your Armais are as potent as the stuff I had. But in the small amount you need, any flavor it brings should be mild and blend nicely with the Mittelfruh.

Fuggles, although I love, I'd be careful with as it could become somewhat predominant. It's not as delicate as Willamette and even as a bittering addition the flavor will come through, and considering you would need to use a lot more then the Armis, then it's even more likely.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Search for a Great Lakes Dortmunder recipe to see what hops are used, it is a very good Dortmunder.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks guys. Steve, I think I'll make the Dortmunder sometime after I can try one, though it looks good.
Mash, the Brooklyn recipe call for 9.6# two row, 14oz Munich, 11oz C60. The Willamette is bittering, I think I can will use Perle instead, adjusting for IBU. The flavor and aroma would be just Cascade and Mittelfruh, excluding the Saphir and Vanguard. What do you think?
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, Great Lakes Dortmunder is bittered with Cascade and finished with Mt. Hood. It's an awesome beer.

I don't think Cascade should be noticeable as grapefruit in such a beer (it is not in the Great Lakes), so I would not use it as a finishing hop, or at the very least be cautious with it, unless you want to be a rebel.

Mittelfruh is good equivelant for Mt. Hood.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks. I went with the Brooklyn Lager Recipe, provided in their blog. They use Cascade. I still want to brew a Dortmunder, but I want to try a good example first.
I brewed this today, using Perle for bittering, Mittelfruh and Cascade for flavor and aroma. I'll let you know how it works out.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Drinking this beer now, it's good. It took a while to "lager" in the kegerator.
Never mind, there it is.