Favorite Kettle Features

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Favorite Kettle Features

Post by John Sand »

I'm suggesting a bigger kettle for Christmas. My sweet wife will buy what I want. I'm looking at a few, all 15 or 16 gallons, all with a ball valve, some with a thermometer. I want a notched lid and a thick bottom. I already have a ten gallon mash tun, this will be a boil kettle. What do you have and what do you like or dislike?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Re: Favorite Kettle Features

Post by Beer-lord »

I have a sight glass that I do use but find it totally unnecessary if you have a kettle with markings on the inside. If I did it again, I'd likely save the money and forego the sightglass. Not a dislike, just not needed IMO.
Definitely would want the notched lid and that's on many of the brands that are out there.
A few now have rubberized handles that are a nice touch if you have to move the kettle while it's warm (not recommended).
SS Brewtech has something that sounds and looks good though I know no one using it to verify.....a trub dam! You can see what it looks like on their site.
Finally, I like a false bottom since I BIAB and it helps keep the bag from touching the bottom and does keep some particulate matter out when I transfer to the fermenter.

I hope you get what you what you lucky guy!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I have a fairly basic 10 gallon kettle with ball valve and a threaded opening for a thermometer.

Things I wish I had:
Volume etchings on the inside of the kettle.
Rubberized handles (I do move the kettle while hot, and I have to use leather gloves to handle)
I've seen the trub damn Beer-lord mentioned and it is interesting. I may add that to mine.

I do not use the thermometer port. I use an immersion coil chiller. If I used the thermometer, I would not be able to put the chiller in the pot as it would be blocked by the thermometer probe.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I started a similar thread not too long ago that has some good comments in it as well.

At this point, I'm just waiting for a sale to buy the BrewBuilt kettle from MoreBeer.
For me, a notched lid, rubber handles and the internal volume etchings are the key features. I thought about the Thermometer but as BlackDuck mentioned, I think it might get in the way of my IC (I'll check before making a final decision).

The trub dam on the SS Brewtech is nice and I know there is a pick-up tube I can put into the BrewBuilt, too.

Oh, I almost forgot - the BrewBuilt has a welded fitting which is a BIG feature for me. What I don't like about my SS BrewBucket/fermentor is the screw together with gaskets connection. At some point, I know it's going to leak and I'd like to remove that concern from the list of things I have to think about.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Kealia. I read that thread while researching, I just re-read it. The BrewBuilt is on the list. This discussion is helping me decide which features are most important to me.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

A ball valve/pick-up tube, internal marked volumes, handles you can touch with bare hands and a port for a whirlpool/arm of some kind, along with the notched lid for a boil kettle.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

I use 15 gallon tall boy kettles. They are pretty nice. They have a nice thick bottom and decent gauge walls. I had to install the ball valves, whirlpool arm, site glasses, etc. The only problem I have had was the second one I purchased arrived with a small dent that was easily poppaded out.

If you are a do it yourself kind of guy, these kettles and some Brewers Hardware products make a very nice piece of brewing equipment.