La Petite Orange grain-to-glass (final) review

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

La Petite Orange grain-to-glass (final) review

Post by alb »

Disclaimers:
1) This is an AG kit by Northern Brewer, not my own recipe. It's a Belgian Dubbel without dark malts. I followed the recipe as recommended, adding the (optional) zest of 2 oranges at flame-out but not the optional coriander.
2) I have a Picobrew Zymatic that I use for AG recipes. It brews 2.5g so I split the 5g recipes and run them back to back. I used a wort chiller for 1 batch, and the other I let sit overnight in the keg to cool. It works fine either way.
3) I ferment in a WilliamsWarn. It's a closed system and I have precise control over temperature and carbonation level.
4) For this kit I used Omega Abbey Ale C yeast with a 1.5L starter on the stir plate for 36 hours. It took forever to get going, so I expect the same in the fermenter.

Day 0: Target OG: 1.052, Actual OG: 1.053. Brewhouse efficiency: 75%. The wort is very sweet, a pretty orange color, and smells heavenly. Like marmalade on biscuits.

I'll update as it progresses.
Last edited by alb on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: La Petite Orange grain-to-glass review

Post by alb »

alb wrote:Disclaimers:
1) This is an AG kit by Northern Brewer, not my own recipe. It's a Belgian Dubbel without dark malts. I followed the recipe as recommended, adding the (optional) zest of 2 oranges at flame-out but not the optional coriander.
2) I have a Picobrew Zymatic that I use for AG recipes. It brews 2.5g so I split the 5g recipes and run them back to back. I used a wort chiller for 1 batch, and the other I let sit overnight in the keg to cool. It works fine either way.
3) I ferment in a WilliamsWarn. It's a closed system and I have precise control over temperature and carbonation level.
4) For this kit I used Omega Abbey Ale C yeast with a 1.5L starter on the stir plate for 36 hours. It took forever to get going, so I expect the same in the fermenter.

Day 0: Target OG: 1.052, Actual OG: 1.053. Brewhouse efficiency: 75%. The wort is very sweet, a pretty orange color, and smells heavenly. Like marmalade on biscuits.
Day 1: Wow. I thought the yeast would take awhile but about 6 hours after pitching, I noticed activity. This morning it's going gangbusters. They love that wort. Or else they're so hungry they'll chew up whatever's in their path.
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Interesting, thanks. I just drank the last bottle of a two year old dubbel that was very successful. And I just read an email from NB promoting Omega yeast. My current plan is to nearly repeat my prior recipe with on hand ingredients, but I will be following your thread.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

alb wrote:

Day 1: Wow. I thought the yeast would take awhile but about 6 hours after pitching, I noticed activity. This morning it's going gangbusters. They love that wort. Or else they're so hungry they'll chew up whatever's in their path.
Day 3: The yeast did their thing pretty quick. FG: 1.014, unchanged from this morning to this evening. 72% attenuation, just a bit under the projected 74-78%. I started the cold crash. Even full of yeast, the color of the beer is still a pretty orange. Tastes, well, like beer full of yeast. Blech. I never like my beer at this stage.
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

alb wrote:
alb wrote:

Day 3: The yeast did their thing pretty quick. FG: 1.014, unchanged from this morning to this evening. 72% attenuation, just a bit under the projected 74-78%. I started the cold crash. Even full of yeast, the color of the beer is still a pretty orange. Tastes, well, like beer full of yeast. Blech. I never like my beer at this stage.
Day 8: Bottling Day. All the yeast that's going to settle out has settled out. I could have bottled it yesterday but I ran out of time. It's definitely a Belgian, along the lines of Blue Moon but without the wheat and coriander, and more malt and body. (Maybe it's not like Blue Moon at all, except for the orange. ;) ) The yeast has given it a nice spiciness. It's a beautiful orange-colored beer, my photos don't do it justice. It pours with a good head that thins out pretty quickly but never goes completely away. The aroma is apparent as you bring the glass up. Stick your nose in there, you'll like it. Taste: The fruitiness is obviously orange but there's something like plums or cherries in there too.

Final assessment: Do I like it enough to make it again? Yes. Maybe in March when I'm still in cozy comfort mode but desperately wishing for a glimpse of summer.
phpaPHTokAM (1).jpg
phpaPHTokAM (1).jpg (15.56 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
php2f9DsfAM (1).jpg
php2f9DsfAM (1).jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: La Petite Orange grain-to-glass (final) review

Post by RayF »

8 days from brewing to bottling? That's awesome! I didn't think that was possible. Is the short fermentation attributed to the style or the yeast? I understand that the yeast does its thing fairly quickly but I was always under the impression that leaving it ferment after the yeast is done helps the beer clean up some of the esters, off flavors and such.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

It's the equipment. The WilliamsWarn fermenter is a closed system. It has temp control and the initial fermentation supplies the carbonation, which is also controllable via a pressure valve. It's basically how commercial breweries brew, but in my kitchen. I don't have any problem with off flavors, and even heavy, dark beers don't generally need to age to mellow out. They're good from the get-go. I have gone as short as 4 days grain-to-glass with a light summer ale, using US-04. Lagers take a few days more than ales due to the diacetyl rest.

It's an expensive piece of equipment, shipped over from New Zealand. But I don't have kids to put through college, and it's helped me brew better beer. I love to brew, but my delight is in playing with recipes, not the tinkering around with process. I still have to pay attention to details, it's not automatic. I have seen feedback that it takes the fun out of brewing or it's not really brewing but I disagree. It's just that I have good control over temperature and carbonation levels, and it has a lid to keep it pressurized. I was actually the first one in the US to get one, second in North America. Her name is Trixie and she is WW #250.
Trixie.jpg
Trixie.jpg (227.82 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
http://www.williamswarn.com/Shop/BrewMa ... DMixWVZNcs
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Very cool.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Sexy alb.........oh and that beer making thingy ain't too bad looking either. ;) :lol:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That is a pretty cool contraption ya got there. When it comes to brewing beer, Tom Petty said it best!!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Holy shit, Batman! That's a very nice piece of equipment. I would have never guessed the short turn over time would have been based on your equipment. :fedora:
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: La Petite Orange - Final Update

Post by alb »

Day 8: Bottling Day. All the yeast that's going to settle out has settled out. I could have bottled it yesterday but I ran out of time. It's definitely a Belgian, along the lines of Blue Moon but without the wheat and coriander, and more malt and body. (Maybe it's not like Blue Moon at all, except for the orange. ;) ) The yeast has given it a nice spiciness. It's a beautiful orange-colored beer, my photos don't do it justice. It pours with a good head that thins out pretty quickly but never goes completely away. The aroma is apparent as you bring the glass up. Stick your nose in there, you'll like it. Taste: The fruitiness is obviously orange but there's something like plums or cherries in there too.
Still hazy though
phpaPHTokAM.jpg
phpaPHTokAM.jpg (15.56 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
8 weeks later...
Final assessment: Do I like it enough to make it again? Absolutely! But it needed those 8 weeks for sure. Now it's clear and crisp, the malt is clean and supports the fruitiness. It's really well balanced, just bitter enough.
IMG_1335.jpg
IMG_1335.jpg (60.79 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.