Correcting Gravity

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Correcting Gravity

Post by BlackDuck »

You may recall that I started a thread a few weeks ago about my inability to get to my predicted gravity lately. As a result of that conversation, I bought a Cereal Killer grain mill so I can better and more consistently grind my own grain. I also bought a refractometer so I can check the gravity at the beginning of the boil.

It's been years since I've touched dry malt extract. So my question is, what's the best way to add extract to the wort in order to correct the gravity if it comes in low? Do I just add it directly to the kettle and stir it in? Do I add it to a cup of boiling water, dissolve and add to the wort? How do I know how much extract to use to make the correction? So many questions...my head is about to explode!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
BlackDuck

Re: Correcting Gravity

Post by BlackDuck »

OK...so I found the tool in BeerSmith on how much DME to use to correct the error, so I'm good there. Now that leaves the question of how do I add it to the wort? Do I just add and mix?
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

If adjusting pre-boil just add in, if at the end I think if you take a reading with about 5 minutes left just add in then. DME is already pretty much made to be rid of DMS and other things that you need to do boils for w/grain. To be honest, once you start to mill your own I don't think you will need to correct the gravity.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Another thought occurred to me that possibly the LHBS scale may need calibrating also. I just bought a scale very reasonable, my LHBS has this exact scale. The one I was using only went to 11 Lbs, this goes to 55 Lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/UltraShip-Digita ... B000FSWB9K
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

With that new refractometer, you can get a better idea how close you're coming to your needed OG but RedBEERd and I recently did a beer where we had too much water and we were a bit lower than we wanted and we added DME at about the last 8-10 minutes.
I never thought to even look at Beersmith for the amount to add.....Nice!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Thanks guys.

Steve...I will take the gravity measurement pre-boil. I hope your right that grinding my own grain will most likely fix the problem. We did talk about the store's scale being off, although I don't think that's what it is. But I'll find out. I'll measure the uncrushed grain at the store then measure again at the house to compare.

Paul...In BeerSmith, go into Tools, then choose Adjust Gravity. You enter your actual gravity, your batch volume and your target gravity. It will tell you how much DME to add.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I found that but thanks much for hitting me on the head with the idea. Figures they would have this or is this only in the newest version? Great software!!!!!!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

It's been there all along Paul and works great. I used it one time to dilute my wort to keep from making an Imperial Saison. :whistle:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've used the dillution tool but never realized I could also bump up gravity. I've always done the math by hand (when needed) but I guess I won't have to anymore. And since I stopped doing BIAB and got my mash tun last year I've been OVER on my gravity consistently. Not a bad problem to have, right?

BUt...when I had needed to do it in the past, I've typically boiled the DME for just a minute or two in the least amount of water possible, let it cool, then added it to the ferementor. I don;t check gravity until I'm moving the wort into the fermentor so that is the first time I know where I ended up.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Kealia wrote:I don;t check gravity until I'm moving the wort into the fermentor so that is the first time I know where I ended up.
This is how I've always done it also. And I never corrected just because I didn't want to screw it up anymore. But since I've been coming up way short lately, I bought a refactometer and will now check pre-boil and correct then.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Since I BIAB things usually go differently for me but I almost am never at my preboil gravity as listed by Beersmith. However, I start checking again about halfway thru the boil and that's when I really see where I am and need to be.
None of this matters if you have crush problems or, like me at times, mis-calculated my water volumes.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black