Midwest Supplies Security Breach

The information and announcements you need to know about the BeerBorg community.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

gwcr

Re: Midwest Supplies Security Breach

Post by gwcr »

Got the letter from Midwest in the mail today. No gift card. Will follow up with them.

Edit: It's a code on the bottom of the letter. Not a card. Derp for me.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

I knew something was wrong. When I used the ingredients from my last oder, it made my beer nuts. I was so upset, I had to stay in bed all weekend. My wife was really worried about me until she saw that I started blowing the head off my medicine and she knew I was okay again. Well, these things can be tricky, but you gotta give these guys some credit. But not too much, cause you never know who'll end up with it. :jumpy:
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

DaYooper wrote:Just got my $25 gift card and cant complain. For a credit card you simply need to dispute and if its a problem they will handle it. Cant complain as they didn't have to do that and a show of good faith. If you can hack into NASA, etc, who is to blame a small company. Kudos to them with handling this.
Yah, I got my letter and gift code yesterday. I guess I'll just watch the credit card, or maybe I'll close it out and get a new card number.

What surprised me was that they cited stuff I bought in March. I thought it would have been what I bought in August.

I had this card (old number) hacked before. Someone was testing it out by going all around London on the underground with it. When I called the bank, they asked if I was sure I didn't make those purchases. I said, "Lady, I've never been to that side of the ocean, to ride those trains ...."

And yes, this is why I'll NEVER get a debit card. My bank sent me a debit/ATM card. I brought it back and said, "I want just ATM card, with pin number ... NO DEBIT". She said, "but that's what we issue now". I said, "you can't just issue an ATM card?" ... she said, "It will take weeks ..." I answer "I'll wait, or go take my account to another bank." I got the ATM card in the mail about three days later.
It can only be used in ATMs, with pin no. It has no Visa or MC. Fuck that .... money would come right out of my account if someone got it.

That happened to me when I was treasurer of Mototcycle Club. Sucked. Got it back but what a PITA.
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

Yep, got a letter in the mail yesterday as well.
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

BE ON THE LOOKOUT. I called my bank today and I there's a charge from Midwestern from last week that I did not make ... for over $260. I got the letter from Midwestern a couple days ago.

I would not have guessed that the hacker would use the credit card numbers to by stuff from midwestern. Maybe the figure if they open an account, and buy stuff using different members cards once in a while, no one will notice, as they're regular customers .... and then sell the stuff?

I had to cancel that card, and get a new one, and will dispute the charge when it comes through on a statement.

I'm gonna be out of town a few days ... play nice.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I have not ordered from them for bout 3 months but just got an alert on my visa account. Someone made 3 charges on my card... in NY... I'm in ND. Wonder if this is where they got the account number from.

Cards destroyed/cut off.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Could be FIT. My order from June is the one that they listed on my letter. No suspicious activity yet, but keeping a close eye on things...

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

And I'm officially a victim. 2 charges. One to QVC and one to Newegg. Got them reversed and card closed. Funny thing is, the QVC order was shipping to my address. I think that was their test charge ($20ish) to see if it went through. Then the larger one to Newegg ($170ish). Keep an eye on those accounts if you got the letter.

Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Correction. I said I got hit with a $260 charge to Midwest that I didn't make. I forgot I bought stuff for my RV camper from Midwest Chemical Co. The operator at Citibank just said, "midwest". Seesh. What are the odds of that at this time?

But, I cancelled my card at that point anyway ... and haven't gotten the re-issue yet ... have to call the bank again.

So, it looks like I got away clean .....

When I get my new card, I'll order some stuff from midwest using the coupon code, but I'll probably use PayPal if the have it there.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

gwcr wrote: Keep an eye on those accounts if you got the letter.

I never got a letter from them, nor a coupon, etc. Watch your cards period.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Oatmeal Stout

Post by Oatmeal Stout »

I never got a letter from Midwest, nor did my credit card company get a notice. I did get a call from my credit card company that my credit card was being used in what they thought was an unusual manner for me. The credit card company closed my account and sent me a new card. I would not have known which company caused this to happen if I had not read this post.

I emailed Midwest and told them to remove all my information from their computers. I was not too happy that they did not notify me there were a few hundred dollars ran up on my account.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

I am using virtual numbers that I can generate for my Discover card whenever paypal is not available. One reason I have always liked Midwest better than Northern Brewer is because Midwest offers paypal. I have always used paypal with them.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

While PayPal allows you to avoid providing your credit card to the merchant, be aware that you also remove any chance of getting an extended warranty with the item. Many credit cards double the manufacturer's warranty, up to a year, on your purchases. Some provide a form of price protection. Others cover accidental loss due to theft or breakage. While not applicable to a bag of grains or a can of wort (except price protection maybe), it would matter on equipment that fails.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I have not made a purchase from Midwest since early spring, and it looks like most of this happened in the summer. Something I've been doing lately with most of my online buying is I've been using the prepaid cards, you can get them up to $500, yes it cost $5.00 but to me it's the safest way to buy online.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison