Growler filler

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Growler filler

Post by MadBrewer »

I have a Beer Gun as well, but I agree sometimes it just more work than I want to deal with for just a couple bottles (or a growler). So I use a picnic/cobra tap most of the time unless I have my faucets set up so I stick a bottling wand in the end of the cobra tap, lower the co2 pressure, purge the keg and fill bottles at about 2-3 psi. No purging, but as long as you are gentle with the fill you will lose very little carbonation and shouldn't have to worry about ruining the beer with oxidation. I usually fill to the very top so when I pull the bottling wand from the bottle they are at the perfect fill level and the escaping co2 will purge that head space before you cap. I have drank beers bottled this way several months later that seemed fine. No if I was going to fill bombers of say a RIS or Barleywine that will be bottled long term, I might purge with some co2.

Not my picture, but exactly what I do here:
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've done that before and it does work well (though I did once crack the picnic tap getting the wand out). Tonite I'm going to try the same basic thing but thru the tap using the growler filler and the bottling wand coming out the growler filler. If that doesn't work, I'm doing exactly what you were kind enough to show.
I wouldn't do this if I were bottling for a competition but sending to some friends asking them to drink them soon-ish it should work out just fine.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I did exactly what I posted above a little while ago for a couple bottles I'm giving away. I like easy.

You know, they have those flow control beer faucets now that would be really nice and perfect for bottling off the tap, no need to purge the keg or anything.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Actually I bought 1 flow controlled Perlick but backing off the pressure I had to open it up as it flowed way too slow.
Job done and the wand in the growler filler worked a treat!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

MadBrewer wrote:I have a Beer Gun as well, but I agree sometimes it just more work than I want to deal with for just a couple bottles (or a growler). So I use a picnic/cobra tap most of the time unless I have my faucets set up so I stick a bottling wand in the end of the cobra tap, lower the co2 pressure, purge the keg and fill bottles at about 2-3 psi. No purging, but as long as you are gentle with the fill you will lose very little carbonation and shouldn't have to worry about ruining the beer with oxidation. I usually fill to the very top so when I pull the bottling wand from the bottle they are at the perfect fill level and the escaping co2 will purge that head space before you cap. I have drank beers bottled this way several months later that seemed fine. No if I was going to fill bombers of say a RIS or Barleywine that will be bottled long term, I might purge with some co2.

Not my picture, but exactly what I do here:

I do exactly as you have pictured with the addition of a stopper at the top of the wand. When the bottle gets about 1/4 full the flow will stop and the pressure builds in the bottle, at that point you just squeeze the stopper a bit and the pressure forces the oxygen out and the flow starts again. You may have to purge the stopper a few times as you fill the bottle. I then put a cap on and turn the bottle sideways a bit with my thumb on the cap to get the pressure to build slightly in the bottle and start to foam to push the oxygen out of the bottle and then crimp. It works great!
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Beer-lord wrote:I've done that before and it does work well (though I did once crack the picnic tap getting the wand out). Tonite I'm going to try the same basic thing but thru the tap using the growler filler and the bottling wand coming out the growler filler. If that doesn't work, I'm doing exactly what you were kind enough to show.
I wouldn't do this if I were bottling for a competition but sending to some friends asking them to drink them soon-ish it should work out just fine.
Not to hijack the thread (well, maybe a little) but do you remember what brand your growler filler is for the Perlick and where you got it? I ordered one at Amazon awhile back that said it would fit my Perlick with flow control, but it foamed like crazy. I could hear gas leaking through the seal.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

alb, first, I'm not sure but I think much depends on the exact Perlick taps you have. Make sure you have the one listed for your brand.
I have 2 but changed taps about a bit more than a year or so and that one no longer works but I got my latest one from Adventures in Homebrewing ($6-$7 I think) as well as a Perlick with flow control and the new growler filler fits not only the flow control tap but my other 2 as well since they are really the same tap with the exception of the flow control attached.

I have found that the small rings can get damaged forcing the filler into the tap and I just wet mine before I insert it. Some people suggest a bit of o-ring grease but I prefer not to but if you do, add just a very small bit. It might be enough to seal the small leaks.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black