Mosaic Pale Ale - Golden Promise

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Mosaic Pale Ale - Golden Promise

Post by Inkleg »

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm a bad beer reviewer. Not because I can't describe a beer, in this case it's because I got side tracked.

I enjoyed this beer earlier in the week. I had poured it, sat down with my note pad and pen. My notes say "Wow, grape juice aroma".........and that's where it ends. My wife who is at the Naked Cat Ranch called, I got side tracked talking to her and nothing else made it on paper. From memory past the grape juice aroma I remember a enjoyable Pale Ale. There was a nice mouth feel to the beer with a sweetness from start to finish. (From the GP malt?) Other than the grape juice aroma (really didn't get much on the taste) there was nothing outstanding about this beer........ other than there was nothing else outstanding about this beer. With that I mean that there were no flaws at all in this beer. There was nothing that would keep me from ordering another one (or two) at the bar. It was a very good easy drinking pale.
Thank you for sharing!

What was your FG on this?
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

1.018. It finished much higher than anticipated. I wonder how different it would have been had it finished around 1.012 as planned.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kealia wrote:1.018. It finished much higher than anticipated. I wonder how different it would have been had it finished around 1.012 as planned.
Who cares, it was freaking good!
This happens to me now and again but I've found that a good aeration has really helped not only the yeast to kick off but a faster ferment and better attenuation.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

:o Something crazy happened in this post so I deleted the text
Last edited by alb on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Wow, I just found a 6 pack of these that have been sitting at about 60 degrees sin email I bottled these in October. How did I forget about these??

I put one in the fridge to see how they held up. I'll try it in the next few days and report back.

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I used Golden Promise in my MacPherson Scottish Wee Heavy at Christmas and the consensus among the Scottish Ale lovers was that the previous year's version was better, with Maris Otter and American 2-row. It just had... I don't know... a weird sweetness even though it fully attenuated. I think it strange since I've read that Golden Promise is Scotland's analog to Maris Otter, and the go-to choice for Scottish Ales. I'd try it again, maybe in a milk stout or something.

Nugget is my usual bittering hop when I use one.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:1.018. It finished much higher than anticipated. I wonder how different it would have been had it finished around 1.012 as planned.
I'm going to be an anti-west coast styie pale/ipa nay-sayer that says sometimes drying out a beer more doesn't always make it better. Especially when the hops are fruity/berry like. Sometimes a bit of extra residual sweetness makes that fruit really pop.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I gave that bottle 24 hours in the fridge to chill and drank it last night. It poured super clear (as it should after 5 months in the bottle), with a thick, creamy head that was supported by high carbonation.

It was slightly more carbed than it was 5 months ago, so I'm *guessing* that it fermented a bit more in the bottle. This batch finished higher than expected at 1.018 when it was bottled. It didn't continue fermenting enough for bottle bombs or to create gusher, but it was higher than I normally carb.

It was fine after a few minutes sitting, allowing the carb to settle down a bit. The aroma was still there and very prominent! So was the taste, just as I remembered it. A bit malty sweet from the Golden Promise and a definite presence from the Mosaic. No off flavors, no oxidation, no loss of hops, etc.

This beer not only held up well but it may be even better than it was 5 months ago. The rest are going into the fridge with a smile! :give: