Homemade brewing stuff

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MK RAM

Homemade brewing stuff

Post by MK RAM »

I do alot of different wood projects. I was thinkin about some kind of bottle tree made out of wood with wooden dowels set at an upward angle then coated with vinyl made for dippin tools and whatnot. I'm open for other suggestions. I'd ratherbuild something than buy it, so don't go there :p

Anyhow, it got me thinkin about what some of you may have made to assist in yourbrewin habit.

:thanks:
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Homemade brewing stuff

Post by Bluejaye »

MK RAM wrote:I'd ratherbuild something than buy it
Me, too, though I wish I had the woodworking skills because your bottling tree sounds like a neat idea. I'm betting a good number of us feel the same way. I mean, we are brewing our own beer afterall, when we could just go out and buy it. :rolleyes:
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I'd suggest that building a bottling tree is a) a bad return on your investment and b) a risk of infection in your beer.

An economy bottling tree costs $19. It's made of plastic, holds 45 bottles, and can be sanitized. Can you make one for anywhere near that cost, giving some value to your time? And, the reason people don't use wooden cutting boards any more is there ability to store germs. So you're going to coat it in vinyl? I can't imagine the effort involved, and the cost, to save $19.

Build ramps (like I did) to hold your LBKs at an angle. Build fancy boxes to hold your brews, with a place to label what's inside them. Build a rack to hold all your brewing tools, or a cabinet to store them.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
MK RAM

Post by MK RAM »

RickBeer wrote:I'd suggest that building a bottling tree is a) a bad return on your investment and b) a risk of infection in your beer.

An economy bottling tree costs $19. It's made of plastic, holds 45 bottles, and can be sanitized. Can you make one for anywhere near that cost, giving some value to your time? And, the reason people don't use wooden cutting boards any more is there ability to store germs. So you're going to coat it in vinyl? I can't imagine the effort involved, and the cost, to save $19.

Build ramps (like I did) to hold your LBKs at an angle. Build fancy boxes to hold your brews, with a place to label what's inside them. Build a rack to hold all your brewing tools, or a cabinet to store them.

I build and use wooden cutting boards on a daily basis...lol. Never got sick and never have made anyone sick and people still use them ALOT!. The reason for the vinyl coating was to alleviate the
chances of infections. I knew this would come up.

I don't want an economy bottle tree to hold 45 bottles, does anyone make a case size BT?

And yes, I can make one very inexpensively, both in time and money.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

RickBeer wrote:And, the reason people don't use wooden cutting boards any more is there ability to store germs.
That is actually a fallacy, a common one so propagating it can easily be forgiven. The reason people use plastic is because it's cheap and marketed, not for any legitimate sanitary claim. Wooden cutting boards are vastly superior for not harboring germs and not dulling knives. There is a reason if you go into any local butcher shop, they still are cutting on wood.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/cuttin ... odplas.htm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 ... 35613.html

I'm assuming the OP was interested in synergizing his/her two hobbies. I think it's a great idea, myself.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Plus, wooden mash paddles have seemed to stand the test of time...
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Bluejaye wrote:
RickBeer wrote:And, the reason people don't use wooden cutting boards any more is there ability to store germs.
That is actually a fallacy, a common one so propagating it can easily be forgiven. The reason people use plastic is because it's cheap and marketed, not for any legitimate sanitary claim. Wooden cutting boards are vastly superior for not harboring germs and not dulling knives. There is a reason if you go into any local butcher shop, they still are cutting on wood.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/cuttin ... odplas.htm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 ... 35613.html

I'm assuming the OP was interested in synergizing his/her two hobbies. I think it's a great idea, myself.
Quoting About.com and Huffpost doesn't exactly make for a compelling argument... ;) No wikapedia reference?

Since the OP says he can make it, including coated in plastic, for almost no cost then it might make sense. Me, I wouldn't spend the time on a $19 item, I'd use my woodworking skills (not that I have any) to make other things that would be more visible and look great. Replicating old time wooden beer cases would be cool.

The OP may want to look into making a "fastrack" out of wood (with a plastic tray for the liquid):

I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I would like you to make me some wooden beer bottles please, my glass ones have been blowing up lately. :idea: :D
Sibling Brewers
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

If they can use wooden water mains over the last 150+ years, it would be great for a bottle, eh?
Imagine the flavors you would extract over time? Hey, you just might have a new trend there BB...
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

RickBeer wrote:Quoting About.com and Huffpost doesn't exactly make for a compelling argument... ;)
And yet its still better than spouting off false information without any citation at all. God bless Google, I just picked the first 2 links for your reading pleasure, the first of which contained a reference to a legimate science journal.
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

Why not make some nice wooden crates to store your bottles?
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

russki wrote:Why not make some nice wooden crates to store your bottles?
Hey, I'm not picky that would work. :lol:
Sibling Brewers
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Brewbirds wrote:I would like you to make me some wooden beer bottles please, my glass ones have been blowing up lately. :idea: :D
Maybe ya should get some stainless bottles http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... -pack.html
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I think the point was that he enjoys woodworking and not to save $19 (plus S&H). Just like I dont really expect to save money by doing my own beer (especially when amortizing in the equipment and my constant new purchases of stuffs), Im guessing he isnt looking at saving the money either. However, a wooden Fastrack might be the ticket.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
MK RAM

Post by MK RAM »

DaYooper wrote:I think the point was that he enjoys woodworking and not to save $19 (plus S&H). Just like I dont really expect to save money by doing my own beer (especially when amortizing in the equipment and my constant new purchases of stuffs), Im guessing he isnt looking at saving the money either. However, a wooden Fastrack might be the ticket.
Thanks Yoop!