Homemade brewing stuff

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Homemade brewing stuff

Post by Chuck N »

MK RAM wrote:
DaYooper wrote:I think the point was that he enjoys woodworking and not to save $19 (plus S&H). Just like I dont really expect to save money by doing my own beer (especially when amortizing in the equipment and my constant new purchases of stuffs), Im guessing he isnt looking at saving the money either. However, a wooden Fastrack might be the ticket.
Thanks Yoop!
I agree with Yoop. I have had my shop shut down for a couple of years now but I hope to get it up and running again soon. I would just coat the whole tree in polyurethane. If I was still concerned about infection (and I would be and am even with my plastic bottle tree) I would - and do - spray it down with sanitizer before each use.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I'm a FastRack user as well, and have seen many wood DIY FastRack-like setups.

Here's a homemade bottle tree...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-mon ... cs-105614/
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Swen...those look great. I now have a new project on the list. Thanks for the pics.

And for the idea from the OP...I think it's a great idea. A hobby is supposed to be fun, even if the project isn't cheaper than going to the store to get a similar item. It's the fun of doing it. Just as it is in brewing. I can sometimes go to the store and buy good craft beer for a close price to what I make it for...but that's not the point. I love brewing and drinking my own beer.

So go for it...and be sure to post pics when your done.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I'm not a woodworker, but that has to be one relaxing rewarding hobby. That might be a nice retirement hobby I get into later in life.

I found this a while back and I made one myself. This isn't my picture but you get the idea. I took a plain white heavier clothes hanger, mine had a little web around the corner of the hanger like the picture shows and that makes it even better. But cut it to size like the picture indicates and smoothed out the cuts. I sanitize it and use it to aerate my wort once it's in my bucket fermenters. Lot easier on the arm than a wisk. I haven't got into oxygenating my wort because my beers are good as they are with healthy fermentations. Also this mixing method is what Gordon Strong uses and he talks about it in his book, if it's good enough for a 3 time Ninkasi award winner, good enough for me. He saves the oxygen for bigger beers and lagers I belive.

Brew Strong My Friends...
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

MadBrewer, that's a GENIUS invention!!
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Brewing Brother

Post by Brewing Brother »

I made my own wort chiller a few months ago. I bought the copper already in a coil, so I could get it down to the right size by hand and only needed my tube bender to put two 90 degree bends into the intake and outtake. The plastic tubing and faucet adapter cost me just a few bucks and I already had two clamps on hand. Just as cheap as buying a chiller and much more fun.
"I will find a way, or make one!" - Hannibal
"I will find a beer, or brew one!" - Me

Bottled - The Ginger Witch III
Fermenting - Mosaic Sunshine
Planning - Chocolate Stout
Cheaptrix

Post by Cheaptrix »

swenocha....that looks very similar to the wooden DIY FastRack that I just built. I built mine to fit in a short sided storage bin (used for wrapping paper storage) to catch the draining fluid.

I have also thought about building a bottle tree using a wooden center piece and cut plastic hangers for the branches. The cut plastic hanger branches could then be removed from the center piece, washed, sanitized and replaced. Also considered some kind of PVC for the center piece, making the entire thing sanitizable. Still in the planning process, but thought I'd share.... and any suggestions/thougths are welcome.

CheapTrix
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

BB, I made a wort chiller too! I got 50' of 3/8" tube from ebay, a piece of washer hose and clamp from the local hardware. I made a double coil, inner around a wine bottle, outer around a pot. My right angles were bent around a tomato sauce jar. It works.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Brewing Brother

Post by Brewing Brother »

John Sand wrote:BB, I made a wort chiller too! I got 50' of 3/8" tube from ebay, a piece of washer hose and clamp from the local hardware. I made a double coil, inner around a wine bottle, outer around a pot. My right angles were bent around a tomato sauce jar. It works.
That double coil sounds sweet. :urock:
"I will find a way, or make one!" - Hannibal
"I will find a beer, or brew one!" - Me

Bottled - The Ginger Witch III
Fermenting - Mosaic Sunshine
Planning - Chocolate Stout
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I've only used it once, it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. But I'm sure with practice, and colder winter water, it will be fine.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.