2017 rhizome exchange

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

2017 rhizome exchange

Post by bpgreen »

I'm growing 5 different varieties of hops (Cascade, Centennial, Hallertauer, Nugget, Perle). I think Jon sent me a rhizome that didn't make it, but I've got 5 varieties that are growing and most should produce rhizomes every year (note that I say should, not will).

The varieties I have are: Cascade, Centennial, Hallertauer, Nugget, Perle.

One of my brothers got me started with several rhizomes, and I think I've only bought one on my own.

So every year I try to pay it forward and give rhizomes to anybody who wants them.

I do have a few conditions. I live in Utah, so it's against the law for me to get a beer in the mail (or UPS, FEDEX, etc). And "yeast samples" don't fool anybody. So please, if I give you a rhizome, don't send a beer as a reward. I'm giving you the rhizome free and clear.

Once I give you the rhizome, it's yours. After a couple of years, you'll probably have your own rhizomes. You can sell them on eBay (or elsewhere) if you want, or you can give them away.

In general, I give rhizomes away first come, first served. But I make exceptions for people I know IRL. People I know IRL go to the top to the list automatically.

If you want to grow hops, tell me what you want and also tell me what you'd accept (for example, want Cascade, would take Centennial; Want Nugget, would take any . . .)

If you want to grow hops, reply to this thread with the variety (varieties) you want. If you're growing hops and want to contribute rhizomes, reply with what you've got. Only reply to this thread if you want to give rhizomes for free.

I'll probably have rhizomes starting in May.
Last edited by bpgreen on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: 2017 rhizome exchange

Post by John Sand »

Nice idea BP.
I grow Cascades, and don't have room for anything else on my small shady lot. But thanks for the offer.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I've tried once but the varieties I had weren't the greatest for the weather here in FL.

But I'd like to try again. Any chance I could grab one or two Cascade rhizomes? Willing to take Nugget or Perle if no Cascades available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Cheers to bp for doing this! The Cascades he sent me last year are rocking!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

John Sand wrote:Nice idea BP.
I grow Cascades, and don't have room for anything else on my small shady lot. But thanks for the offer.
How long have you been growing them? Will you have rhizomes to contribute?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

philm00x wrote:I've tried once but the varieties I had weren't the greatest for the weather here in FL.

But I'd like to try again. Any chance I could grab one or two Cascade rhizomes? Willing to take Nugget or Perle if no Cascades available.

You're on my list
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

bpgreen wrote:
philm00x wrote:I've tried once but the varieties I had weren't the greatest for the weather here in FL.

You're on my list
Thanks!

Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'd love to try again, but considering that something keeps eating the ones I planted this year down to the ground, I think I would have no success. Whenever I move somewhere else, maybe I'll try again.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Bumping this for visibility.

Anybody need rhizomes?

Anybody have rhizomes to contribute?
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I killed the last one that you sent me unfortunately... was pretty bummed as I thought I was caring for it properly. Will have to give it another go sometime in the future...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Of the ones you sent me, only only survived to grow. Nugget I think it is. I would love to have some Cascade, Centennial and/or Hallertauer. I plan on dedicating a section of my garden for some permanent trellis'. Last year I planted along a 6ft fence that goes around my garden, I think the bunnies and field rats damaged those.

How close can these be planted togather before they mix, or fertilize each other mudding up the resulting buds(?)?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

FrozenInTime wrote:Of the ones you sent me, only only survived to grow. Nugget I think it is. I would love to have some Cascade, Centennial and/or Hallertauer. I plan on dedicating a section of my garden for some permanent trellis'. Last year I planted along a 6ft fence that goes around my garden, I think the bunnies and field rats damaged those.

How close can these be planted togather before they mix, or fertilize each other mudding up the resulting buds(?)?
They won't cross-pollinate. That's one of the benefits (and/or disadvantages, depending on your point of view) of using rhizomes to propagate. They're all female, so there's no way they can cross pollinate. If you get any seeds, it means that there are some male hop plants growing nearby (probably wild). The cones would still have the characteristics of the mother plant, but plants from the seeds would not. If you plant those seeds, you may get something good, but there's no way of knowing. Commercial growers will cross different varieties to see if they get something usable and this is where new varieties come from.

I put together a hop growing guide: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5593 from things I've read and from my own experience. According to that, you should plant rhizomes of the same variety 3-4 feet apart. Keep different varieties at least 5 feet apart. I'm sure that's a guideline I read somewhere.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I'd love some again this year (to hopefully not kill them) if everyone else gets their turn first. Can I pay you for shipping or something?
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

swenocha wrote:I'd love some again this year (to hopefully not kill them) if everyone else gets their turn first. Can I pay you for shipping or something?
Shipping is pretty minimal, so I don't worry about it.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Something ate all the ones I got from you last year. I'm afraid to try again, I don't want to waste your rhizomes if someone else can get them to grow.