Dry Hop Timing

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Dry Hop Timing

Post by BlackDuck »

I'm working on a recipe for a Double IPA. I usually only dry hop once for 4 or 5 days. I'm taking the Pliny approach to dry hopping on this recipe, that is to say, I'm planning on dry hopping for 10 days, then another dry hop addition for 5 days. I've looked and looked but couldn't find an explanation on why this kind of dry hop schedule is beneficial. So what say you Borg? What are the pros and cons of splitting the dry hops into two additions rather than going for one large dry hop for 7 days?

EDIT...after reading an article on BeerSmith about dry hopping, I may reduce the split timing to 6 days and 3 days to reduce vegetal/grassy characteristics.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
philm00x

Re: Dry Hop Timing

Post by philm00x »

Probably just to keep the aroma as concentrated as possible. Perhaps the split in time helps to distinguish particular aromas from one another better. Rather than combining smells, have one pronounce itself, then another. Just a guess though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

A good though Phil. So if your using the same hops, it may not benefit. But if your using different hops in each split, then you might.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've not done 10 days before but have done 8. Lately, I like 7 and 3 and have had excellent aroma and flavor with this. Some hops are more 'grassy' than others but I think those comments are over blown.
I also dry hop at 68 but I think Vinnie dry hops at a lower temperature which would benefit more with a longer amount of time.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

From a "science" perspective, what and/or how much of what gets extracted is always dependent on Time, Temperature, and PH. Alcohols levels might have an effect too, as it's a different kind of solvent then the water.

So one dry hop will extract more of something and the other one will extract less of something (but perhaps the same amount of something else if it can all be extracted in ? days).

So if you want more of what comes out "right away" but less of what comes out "later" this might do that.