Jon--Brewer Of The Month August 2016

Every month the Borg nominates a member that has been a positive and helpful contributor to the BeerBorg Collective. This is where read about all nominations, elections and the BOTMs themselves

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Jon--Brewer Of The Month August 2016

Post by The_Professor »

CONGRATULATIONS TO Jon AUGUST 2016 BREWER OF THE MONTH!

We had a really tight race this month. I assume Jon must have a large nose-because that is what he won by.

Here are the in depth interview questions (although I had to get rid of the question I had ready for evily):
1) When did you start brewing and how did you become interested?
2) Who would you most like to share a beer with?
3) What is your favorite beer?
4) Do you have a beer recipe you'd like to share?
5) What does "Triple Hopped" really mean?
Beer-lord

Re: Jon--Brewer Of The Month August 2016

Post by Beer-lord »

Congrats Jon!
Way to go!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Congratulations!
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Congratulations Jon!

Send me a PM with your address and I'll ship off the B.O.T.M. Award Thingy to ya'.

:cool:
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Congratulations Jon! Looking forward to reading your answers. It's enjoyable to learn about my fellow brewers. Please go ahead and answer the "Triple Hopped" one too, theres gotta be a back story there somewhere.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Good work, Jon!
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Inkleg wrote:....go ahead and answer the "Triple Hopped" one too, theres gotta be a back story there somewhere....
The_Professor wrote:....although I had to get rid of the question I had ready for evily....
That's the whole back story.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Congratulations!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hurray John!
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

The_Professor wrote:
Inkleg wrote:....go ahead and answer the "Triple Hopped" one too, theres gotta be a back story there somewhere....
The_Professor wrote:....although I had to get rid of the question I had ready for evily....
That's the whole back story.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Congrats Jon!!!!
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
evily
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by evily »

Congrats Jon! :woot:

I'll go ahead and answer the triple hopping question... :p though it's really nothing magical or mysterious, at least to homebrewers like us. It simply means that hop additions are made 3 times during the brewing process. Us homebrewers know that's really nothing special, as we typically make hop additions at LEAST three times during the boil, plus a dry hop addition. But to the average Miller Lite consumer, I guess it sounds impressive. And some other American light lagers are only double-hopped, so I guess we've got that going for us. :cool:

Anyway, I don't want to steal any thunder from Jon, so I'll shut up now. CONGRATS AGAIN, JON! :banana:
~*~*~I like big beers and I cannot lie!~*~*~
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

The_Professor wrote:CONGRATULATIONS TO Jon AUGUST 2016 BREWER OF THE MONTH!

We had a really tight race this month. I assume Jon must have a large nose-because that is what he won by.

Here are the in depth interview questions (although I had to get rid of the question I had ready for evily):
1) When did you start brewing and how did you become interested?
2) Who would you most like to share a beer with?
3) What is your favorite beer?
4) Do you have a beer recipe you'd like to share?
5) What does "Triple Hopped" really mean?
Wow! Thanks everyone. I do have a large nose, but it's normal-shaped, so it doesn't stand out TOO much. :lol:

1) I started brewing with Mr. Beer in...'08, or '09. I was buying a Mr. Beer kit for my Brother for Christmas, and I also bought one for myself, and I quickly found the Mr. Beer Fans forums--at the time, they were the top google search for "Mr. Beer"! I became interested because I liked craft beer, but it was expensive AND I lived in Pittsburgh, and in PA you can either pay bar-prices for 6-packs to go (limit 2), or you can go to the distributor and buy a case. Well the distributor was 5 blocks away, and I didn't have a car...so it seemed like making my beer at home would me a LOT less carrying of a case of beer 5 blocks home, uphill!

2) Man, that's a tough one...but I think I'll go with Hunter S. Thompson. He was a brilliant writer, but he was also a craft-beer lover and homebrewer!

3) The one that's in front of me! :D Seriously, I have a *lot* of favorite beers, but I think I'll go with a beer that pretty much always hits the spot--Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. I actually prefer it, flavor-wise, over their 90 Minute. The 90 Minute is more bitter and doesn't have as much hop flavor and aroma.

4) Sure! I'll go with a favorite in my household--Otterweizen! My wife and I both love German Hefeweizens, so I've done a TON of variations.
But the basic recipe is something like this:

6 lbs Wheat Malt
4 lbs Maris Otter

60 minute mash at 154*
FWH to what would be 10-12 IBUs in a 60 minute boil with whatever noble-ish hops you have on hand (pref Hallertauer of some kind)

60 minute boil.

Ferment around 64* with WLP380

It makes an AMAZING beer, every time. I sometimes like to switch up the base malt for Munich 10L--I call that one Mittleweizen, because it's between a hefe and a dunkle in color and flavor. :)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Jon wrote:so it seemed like making my beer at home would me a LOT less carrying of a case of beer 5 blocks home, uphill!
Folks unfamiliar with Pittsburgh probably don't understand how significant uphill might be!
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Congrats Jon, now the brew thingy will have been in your hands twice in 2 different states. Now was it uphill both ways in the snow while blowing 60mph in your face and your boots were filled with wet concrete?
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

Whamolagan wrote:Congrats Jon, now the brew thingy will have been in your hands twice in 2 different states. Now was it uphill both ways in the snow while blowing 60mph in your face and your boots were filled with wet concrete?
No, that was just walking to school! :lol:

But seriously...having lived in Pittsburgh, I always understood the "uphill both ways" because there's a ton of places that are up on hills, and to get to any other, you have to go down the hill, then UP the hill the place where you're going is on!