A Version of A Redhawk Ale

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

DjPorkchop

A Version of A Redhawk Ale

Post by DjPorkchop »

I got this recipe online somewhere. Where exactly, I am not sure as I lost all my bookmarks recently. This one had a few key ingredients left out and my guy at the LHBS and I had to call an audible and just go for it. And frankly speaking, it turned out excellent if I must say so my self.

5 Gallon Extract and Steep

6.0 lb Briess Sparkling Amber
1 lb Crystal 40 steeped at 152 for 30 minutes ( this was not indicated online. We made a guess at the LHBS. All it called for was Crystal.... )
2 ounces Willamette @60
2 ounces Cascade steeped 10 minutes
Safale us-05 (this was not indicated online recipe, we made a guess at the LHBS)

(It called for 1lb extra light DME or something like that which I left out)

No Pre Boil gravity was taken by my mistake.
Post boil OG was 1.044
Final gravity finished at 1.012

The exact crystal malt was not given online for the recipe so Matt at Windy Hill Hops and I decided on the Crystal 40.
The exact yeat was not given either so we decided on the US-05. I am wondering if 04 would have cleaned up a tad better?
I made a serious mistake pitching the yeast. When I rehydrated the yeast, I failed to give it a stir and when i dumped it in the wort, it was a big clump. I carefully stirred to try and break it all up. All seemed well after the stir.

This batch was bottle primed instead of batch primed regrettably enough.
I tasted the batch fresh out of the fermenter and the first thing nitceable was the smell of the cascade hops that were steeped.
On the taste came the right up front and in your face Willamette hops that were used.
It tasted perfectly flat, bitter as can be with absolutely no sweetness to it at all.
It was so good in fact, I had 2 coffee cups full right out of the fermenter.

After this beer sat for 2 weeks, I tossed some in the refrigerator and let it chill. I cracked one open and had nice even and silky smooth carbonation.
Nice head on the pour. Once again, the cascade was shining through. On the sip, wack! A nice shot of the Willamette.
Nice lacing on the glass sand a very decent, but not perfect head retention.

I let some go 3 weeks in the bottle at room temp then in the fridge for hours only. Not bad at all! I liked it a lot! BUT......
It had a very, ever so slight tinny type of metallic something to it in the after math that would not go away. it was not bad by any means.
It would just not go away. It kind of hung in the mouth like there was no tomorrow or another beer to be had. Acid in the hops maybe? Never had this before.
Now I go in the basement and bring some more up this time we are well in to the 4 week or so mark. These thing have been sitting in mid to upper 60's now in the bottle for a month.
This time, its a week in the refrigerator for a couple. Mmmmm still not bad but not as good to me. I like younger beers that are slap you in the face good.
Now a couple more that was in the refrigerator for another week to now make 2 weeks. Yeah, not near as good and a little disappointing to be quite honest.
Not sure if that is a Ray issue or what as I like young beers better. Well some beers I like younger better.

Don't be afraid to give this one a shot. It is a very drinkable beer. I know I enjoyed mine and will do it again down the road I'm sure.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: A Version of A Redhawk Ale

Post by John Sand »

I'm glad it worked out, thanks for sharing.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
DjPorkchop

Post by DjPorkchop »

John Sand wrote:I'm glad it worked out, thanks for sharing.
Any time man. Not a problem. if I can find one or two more good ones in Book O' Recipes, I'll gladly share too.

Regrettably the one that I can not find my notes on is a Citra Bomb I made. It was excellent and would loved to share that one. :(
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

DjPorkchop wrote:It was excellent and would loved to share that one. :(
And I would have loved for you to share that one too. Bummer the notes are MIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
DjPorkchop

Post by DjPorkchop »

yeah, I have been looking. The wife and I just recently moved. All my beer stuff is in one location but when you have a bunch of people on the move, it's hard telling what is where. If I can find it in the future, it's on the share list for sure! ;-)