Boil Oats?

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Boil Oats?

Post by John Sand »

I recently brewed an extract+grains pumpkin ale kit. One of the mods I made was to add 1/2 pound of quick oats for body. I put them in the grain sock with the steeping grains, they barely fit even before swelling up. That probably reduced the extraction. Afterward, I wondered why I just didn't add them to the boil. They have no husk to add tannin. Has anyone done this?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Boil Oats?

Post by mashani »

It might be nasty, I don't know... I can't say if they would settle out or just turn your wort into gruel, and remain gruelish in your fermenter... that would be yucky. If you pour your wort through a strainer into your bucket then maybe it's ok... ???
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I think 8oz in six gallons wouldn't be too bad. The same batch has 30oz of canned pumpkin in it. Maybe I'll try it sometime.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

I've steeped oats once, very early on in my brewing career and had a similar experience to you!

I wouldn't leave them in the fermentor, but they should be fine in the boil next time...assuming you're not worried about getting a clear beer, that is. :)
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

only time I used oats I roasted them a bit in the oven first then added them to a partial mash. I would think adding quick oats to your boil would be gross but I'm no expert.