Working on the base malt for a porter

Information about Grains and how to use them

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Working on the base malt for a porter

Post by Gymrat »

mashani wrote:I love MO. That said, I honestly think you would notice the MO more in a more simple beer like a Bitter. When it comes to porters and stouts, yes it's great, but the specialty grains kind of whomp on the extra goodness the MO brings, so I don't think the MO is "necessary" as such. But that said, if I had MO I'd use it. I just wouldn't necessarily go buy it if I had something else already just to make a porter or stout.
The way I look at it. I would rather take a really good ingredient and enhance it, than take a mediocre ingredient and rely on the specialties to compensate for it.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Interesting thread, and since I'm going to be brewing this next weekend, I've got a lot to consider.

I think I will go with MO as the base malt. If all things are equal, what's the harm, and if it enhances the style, then so much the better.

I may consider a bit of rye in the grist, but only as a tweak, rather than a signature, if that makes sense. It's a 2.5G batch, so I can't see using more than 0.25# of rye, at least to start with. I don't even know if my LHBS carries chocolate rye.

This has been a really good thread, and thanks to all who contributed their opinions. Great discussion here!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Instead of rye you might want to think about oatmeal. Oatmeal stouts are rather common. It is supposed to give the stout a nice creamy mouthfeel.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

^ +1