Spicy Chicken w/Brie

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Spicy Chicken w/Brie

Post by The_Professor »

This is better that I imagined it would be.

At the beginning of the week I watched a YouTube video about Spicy Grilled Chicken in Jakarta. It just so happened that I had some chicken breasts as well as some jalapeño and habanero. Adding the Brie is actually the third iteration of this recipe. At first I did a roughly chopped version, then a blended version, and lastly a blended version w/Brie.

Just to give some idea (volumes vary wildly depending on the size of the produce):
1 jalapeño - chopped
1 habanero - chopped
1/2 red bell pepper - chopped
nice 1/4 inch slice purple onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - chopped

Sauté with a little olive oil and salt until tender. The garlic is added for the last 1/2 or 1/3 of heating.

I added a little olive oil and juice from one lime in my Ninja blender and then the pepper mix. Blend until smooth.

Using a large boneless/skinless chicken breast (1/2 breast portions), slice the chicken breast 80-90% through. rub with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and dab on the spice mix as desired. Cook at 400 then when halfway done turn and again sprinkle with salt and dab with spice mixture. When the chicken breast is fully cooked, put a nice slice of Brie in the slit you cut before cooking.

Really good with the spice on it, even better with the Brie.

Here's the video (I was not trying to copy it, just make something spicy):
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Spicy Chicken w/Brie

Post by FrozenInTime »

Looks pretty darn good! How much heat survived the cooking? I ask because I can no longer have real spicy food, I love it, it hates me.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Spicy Chicken w/Brie

Post by The_Professor »

How much heat you wind up with depends on a number of things.
I am just chopping the jalapeño and habanero including seeds and veins. Scraping out the seeds and veins would reduce the heat to begin with.
A good amount of onion and bell pepper tames the heat as far as while you are eating a bite but the volumes I am using leave a nice lingering warm spicy (not burning) after taste.
As far as how the heat in the peppers survives baking the chicken, you can definitely make a five alarm version if you wanted.
If you want to start tame try equal parts of the onion and bell pepper with about half of one of those volumes of the spicy peppers without seeds or veins.